Reddit Reddit reviews Hosa CMP-153 3.5 mm TRS to Dual 1/4" TS Stereo Breakout Cable, 3 Feet

We found 113 Reddit comments about Hosa CMP-153 3.5 mm TRS to Dual 1/4" TS Stereo Breakout Cable, 3 Feet. Here are the top ones, ranked by their Reddit score.

Hosa CMP-153 3.5 mm TRS to Dual 1/4
1/4-inch Plugs Color coded - Red and WhiteScores of applications in live performance, recording and computer multimedia settings
Check price on Amazon

113 Reddit comments about Hosa CMP-153 3.5 mm TRS to Dual 1/4" TS Stereo Breakout Cable, 3 Feet:

u/jordansynth · 9 pointsr/synthesizers

You would put left on one channel, right on the next and then pan each accordingly on the mixer. If your sound is being output from a unit with a single stereo jack (like a Roland Boutique, iPad, etc), you would get a 3.5mm to 1/4" TRS cable; example here.

u/chahahc · 8 pointsr/buildapcsales

If you're going from a 3.5mm jack straight from your motherboard then you'll probably need something like this 3.5mm to 1/4" TSR cable

u/willmich · 7 pointsr/synthesizercirclejerk

Zoom MS-70CDR + Casio SA76 + Cheetos + Root beer + hosa 1/4" - 1/8" cable= $186 plus shipping and handling. Basically an M-1 but with cheetos and rootbeer.

u/coolwithpie · 6 pointsr/audioengineering

Yep, it's expecting a mono signal. Try using something like [this] (

u/ardric · 6 pointsr/audio

You should be fine running an unbalanced line level into the balanced TRS 1/4" inputs. You lose the extra noise immunity that balanced signals get, but these are short cable runs so it shouldn't be a problem. Get a PC cable that has a common stereo 1/8" (3.5mm) plug at the laptop end and goes to two 1/4" mono TS plugs at the speaker end, something like this:

There's a thread going on over here about unbalanced into balanced and why this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

u/workaccountoftoday · 5 pointsr/synthesizers
  1. People discourage synth use in a guitar amp due to bass frequencies, a bass amp is often suggested in lieu of guitar amp.

  2. you'll need a 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter. But not just any adapter, you'd want one that splits a stereo signal into two mono L/R signals.

    So something like this cable but I'd recommend an all female version to allow you to adjust the lenghts of each end.
u/BangsNaughtyBits · 5 pointsr/podcasting

The only stereo jack on most mixers is the headphone jack. everything else is mono, except insert jacks, which are mono but special.

What cables are you using? Be very specific. Where are you connecting them?

Personally, I try and use TRS 1/4" or XLR cables to get the benefits of balanced cables but for short runs it should not matter.

Having said that, you can probably use a 3.5mm TRS to dual 1/4" TS cable like this.

I'd rather use balanced runs but I doubt you would actually gain a benefit over this and it leaves the 1/4" and XLR jacks free.


u/m1stertim · 4 pointsr/audioengineering

Yes they can, but Mackie CR3s are also not passive. You'll want one of these cables.

u/griznatch · 4 pointsr/audioengineering

a cable like this: from the scarlett's headphone out to the "front right/left" input on the speaker


a cable like this: from the scarlett's main outs to the same "front right/left"

u/riley212 · 3 pointsr/synthesizers

The Mackie ProFX8 would probably get you what you want.

The Hosa cables on Amazon are cheap and work fine. You would need a headphone to TS cable for each of the volcas. Like this
You might not need a stereo channel for each as I don know how each Volca put out sound. Are left and right exactly the same?

u/GrabbinCowlicks · 3 pointsr/podcasts

Here's a copy and paste suggestion from a similar thread a while ago:

"As for a mixer, I highly recommend the Alesis MultiMix 8 USB. You just plug it into the USB of your laptop, adjust the sound settings on whatever program your recording into and you're set. You can use it to pull audio from the laptop (ie Skype call or YouTube video) into the mix.

There's also the Alesis MultiMix 4 USB. It's cheaper, has less bells and whistles but it works just as well. Though, you'll need this cord if you want to pull audio from the laptop."

u/[deleted] · 3 pointsr/Games

How about using a small mixer instead? First convert your 1/8" stereo output to two 1/4" mono plugs with one of these. Run both channels into a mixer like this. Take the mono 1/4" mixed output and split it to an 1/8" stereo jack with one of these so that you have your mono mix in both ears.

u/LittleHelperRobot · 3 pointsr/synthesizers


^That's ^why ^I'm ^here, ^I ^don't ^judge ^you. ^PM ^/u/xl0 ^if ^I'm ^causing ^any ^trouble. ^WUT?

u/salnajjar · 3 pointsr/karaoke

I've only used it once or twice myself, but Karafun isn't bad. It's a stand alone karaoke application with an online subscription service to their song library.

You will still need microphones, mixer, amp etc.

A good simple home setup can be:

  • Cheap 4 channel mixer with two XLR inputs and two phono/rca or 1/4" jack plug inputs (something like this shouldn't break the bank)
  • Two moderately decent microphones (I recommend wired over wireless as you get better sound for the money) (Another amazon link to something not too over priced that should fit the bill)
  • Lastly, a PC headphone out to 1/4" TRS connector cable (Amazon link again)

    Now you can mix the Karaoke software on a PC with the microphones, individually adjust the levels of the microphones to accomodate different volumes of singers, mix stereo tracks down into mono tracks (some karaoke songs are muxed with backing vocals).

    Just install the software on a laptop, connect the laptop to your TV or a second monitor and the audio out of the mixer to your amplifier and you're good to go.
u/wentzelitis · 3 pointsr/synthesizers

i normally just use one of these for anything with a 3.5mm stereo output and only plug in the left side to my interface

a simple 3.5 to 1/4 mono adapter can be used for any mono eurorack output which are even cheaper . this way you can still use a normal mixer / interface .

if you specifically desire the type of mixer you're asking for i'll let others try to be more helpful

u/Addiktive · 3 pointsr/edmproduction

Cheapest option: you need a male to male 1/8 inch TS mini jack to dual 1/4 inch TS jack cable. The small mini jack goes into the audio output in the back of your PC. The two bigger jacks go into the left and right monitor speaker respectively.

It will look something like this:

This will work but I do not know if it will work well because I have never used stereo splitters before.

A more expensive option that is guaranteed to work well is to buy an external 2 in/2 out soundcard with either 2x balanced XLR outputs or 2x balanced 1/4 inch TRS outputs.

Try the cheap option first. A DAC is required when you think about how a speaker works. The onboard sound in most computer motherboards has a DAC and an ADC. All soundcards at their most basic level (whether internal, external or integrated onto a computer motherboard) have a DAC, an ADC and an input/output stage so digital data can be turned into an electrical signal and vice versa.

What onboard sound typically lacks is input/output connectivity. They usually have 1x 1/8 inch analogue output and 1x 1/8 inch mic input.

The science stuff: the DAC converts a digital bitstream into a tiny electric current. This electrical signal goes out the output in the back of your PC, travels along the cable and goes into the input on the back of your monitor speaker. The JBL305s are active monitors which means they have power amplifiers built into them. The power amplifier has a transformer in it which turns a small electric current into a fuck off huge electric current. This big current flows into a huge permanent magnet inside your speaker cabinet. This magnet is suspended inside a coil fixed to a paper cone or diaphragm. Through a process called electromagnetism, magnetic repulsion and attraction causes the coil to move which makes the cone extrude and displace air. The displacement (compression and rarefaction) of air molecules is a pressure wave. When the pressure wave reaches your eardrum, it makes it vibrate in sympathy, which triggers the perception of sound.

u/crossedx · 3 pointsr/Beatmatch

If those are powered speakers, I use something similar to this 1/8" stereo to dual mono 1/4" cable to connect my laptop to powered speakers.

u/Umlautica · 3 pointsr/audio

This will do the trick: 1/8" TRS to dual 1/4" TS.

Here is a setup tip:

  1. Turn the gain on the monitors all the way down to the minimum.
  2. Turn the volume on the Mac all the way up to 100%.
  3. Start playing a song (you should not hear anything).
  4. Slowly turn up the gain on the monitors until it gets as loud as you would ever want it.
  5. Done.
u/danintexas · 3 pointsr/Bass

Thanks to /r/bass I am using the following:

The latter plugs into my computer. headphones on the mixer. I can listen to click tracks or MP3s from the computer and bass all through my headphones. All in all it is cheap and gets the job done.

u/the_sameness · 3 pointsr/livesound

There's your problem right there.

Stereo source into mono input.

You are getting phasing and therefore signal cancellation.

You want a cable like this instead.

u/ellicottvilleny · 3 pointsr/synthesizers

Midi contains NO audio channels, you might want to watch a midi tutorial on youtube. Midi is a serial cable that transmits midi messages which are not audio.

Your headphone is your sole audio output on this baby, I would obtain this:

I googled for ya, and your Volca has a stereo chorus effect, so I would definitely go with the cable above.
You don't want to plug a mono 1/8" into that stereo output.

I have a boatload of those headphone to unbalanced 1/4" audio breakouts lying around as it's the usual way I get unbalanced audio from consumer devices with headphone jacks, including phones and tablets, into my live mix, or into my audio inputs on my audio interface. It will hook up to your Scarlett's dual 1/4" TS inputs. Once you have audio coming into your PC, you can record it in your DAW, and then do some EQ, or add effects inside your daw with VSTs, etc.

Is your pedal board set up to accept stereo signals all the way through the chain?

I use an older Pod XT Live and I have stereo in and stereo out and all the effects are digital inside the box. It's a predecessor of modern stuff like Helix.

On my yamaha dx7 I use an old zoom 505 multi fx pedal as my entire FX system. It has grainy effects that sound dated and horrible on my guitar, and somehow sound epic, fat, analog and amazing when I feed in a reedy thin unprocesed lame DX7 patch, and always so low-fi that you can't detect any digital cold 90s character anywhere in it. Even the onboard audio pre-amp in the dx7, not to mention it's low fi 12 bit A/D, is so horribly low fi that you can't possibly hope for much pristine 90s / 2000s era digital cold clarity from it. I call it the Lame FM Patch Suck Remover. It is buffered, and offers a very tiny clean boost when in passthrough mode, and makes my DX7 work and sound better into any audio chain I want to plug it into, especially in bypass, where to compensate for its slight pre-amp effect, I drop my dx7 output volume, and get a much cleaner output from the synth. Buffers are good. Guitarists are all into true bypass, which would suck on a dx7.

u/dr_torque · 3 pointsr/audiophile

Yes, that'd work. To connect it with the E10K, this cable.

u/StrangeCaptain · 2 pointsr/volcas

Here. if you want stereo (i.e. for pan) you'll need to use two channels.
I just plug one channel into my mixer and leave the other unplugged.

u/Hyperobjeckt · 2 pointsr/volcas

I am planning on getting a monotron delay cause I think it sounds great with the Volca FM. Currently using an ms-70cdr with the Volca mix and I like it a lot.

Edit: here’s the cable I use to hook my pedal up to the Volca mix aux loop: Hosa CMP-153 3.5 mm TRS to Dual 1/4 inch TS Stereo Breakout Cable, 3 feet

u/go24 · 2 pointsr/audio

It sounds like you've got the mono output of the AudioBuddy connected to the stereo input of the Fatal1ty. Is the 1/4" plug and/or the 3.5mm plug mono (tip and sleeve) or stereo (tip, ring and sleeve, like a headphone plug)? You should be using something like this:

Just plug one of the 1/4" plugs into the AudioBuddy. Then record on to a mono track.

u/MavigoYT · 2 pointsr/BudgetAudiophile

You'll only need to buy balanced cables.

If you're going to connect it to your pc make sure to get a dual TRS 6.35mm to 3.5mm cable.

Like these

Pc version

u/realizeseven · 2 pointsr/synthesizers

It might be that you don't have the proper cable, and you probably just aren't getting the full signal from the Volca into the 2i2.
The volca has a 3.5mm stereo mini jack for use with headphones. The 2i2 has two line inputs. The best kind of cable to get for this situation:

They make them in various lengths, so search around if you need a longer one. Guitar center usually has these in store if you have one nearby.

Basically, you need to split a TRS stereo signal into two unbalanced mono signals (TS * 2), as the 2i2 does not accept stereo inputs (pretty standard on audio interfaces). Then, in your DAW, you can track each channel independently, or as a single stereo track.

u/rolandkeytar · 2 pointsr/keys

You can use your Yamaha as a controller. All you need is a midi to usb convertor like this. You can take the signal from your headphone jack and plug it straight into a mixer/pa or direct box with a cable like this.

If you want to invest a little more you can buy a midi interface. Two common ones are the maudio fast track and the focus rite scarlett. These are both pretty standard and can do what you need.

u/Om4eccv · 2 pointsr/hometheater

Aren't you planning on using them in pairs? with orange and gray going to each speaker.

If you're not using them in pairs, use this:

u/adrianmonk · 2 pointsr/audio

If you want to hear two sources at the same time, you want a mixer (which is the opposite of a splitter).

A mixer can be digital or analog, but basically they aren't really consumer-oriented devices, and the digital ones tend to be pretty expensive. So practically speaking, analog is the way to go. (That means you would not use your Kenwood receiver's optical input, but one of its analog RCA inputs.)

For an example of a mixer, you could get a cheap Behringer 502 mixer for $40.

If the XBox doesn't have a 3.5mm output, then you will need a digital-to-analog converter for it. There are tons available, but here is a cheap one for $20. With this converter, your two sources (XBox and Echo Dot) will both be available as analog outputs.

From there, to hook it up, you would need:

  • Two 3.5mm to dual 1/4" stereo breakout cables like this one from Hosa for $5 each. One of them would plug into LINE IN 2/3 on the Behringer mixer and the other would plug into LINE IN 4/5.
  • One dual 1/4" to dual RCA stereo cable like this one from Hosa for $6. This would go from the Behringer mixer's MAIN OUT to one of the RCA inputs on your Kenwood receiver.

    To operate it, you'd:

  • Use the 2/3 and 4/5 LEVEL knobs on the mixer to adjust the levels of each sound source. Set the BAL knobs to the center position.
  • Turn the 1 LEVEL knob down to zero since you don't have anything plugged in there.
  • Control the overall volume with the MAIN MIX knob. Or set that to something reasonable and use your receiver to control the volume.

    This is all kind of awkward, but unfortunately I don't know of a mixer that has a more consumer-oriented design and uses 3.5mm or RCA connectors.

    TLDR: Anything that isn't analog (XBox), convert it to analog with a digital-to-analog converter. Use mixer to combine signals. Run mixer's output to an input on the receiver.

    Edit: Thanks for the gold. OP delivers. Also one more thing I forgot to mention: if the Xbox is set to send a surround sound signal to the optical out, that digital to analog convertor won't be able to handle it. You can either get a different converter that can also decode surround sound, or you can change the Xbox audio settings to send a simpler format, which is probably called something like "Linear PCM".
u/the9mmsolution · 2 pointsr/synthesizers

Depends on what kind of speaker you're using. Some keyboard combo amps have a couple inputs you could use simultaneously.

In the end though, the answer is: You need a mixer.

Cheapest option that I know is popular among Volca owners is the little Behringer Micromix. Now you get what you pay for, so obviously spending more on a mixer might give you a better experience in the long run, but it's up to you.

You'll need cables and possibly adapters, depending on the outputs on the Boutique. If the only outputs are stereo 3.5mm, you need these:

Otherwise if they are dual-mono ( you can plug in headphones and hear sound in both ears) you could use the above option, or use these:

Finally if you have 1/4 inch outputs, then you just need 1/4 inch instrument cables.

u/_fuma_ · 2 pointsr/BudgetAudiophile

There are a few options.

The Mackie 2x2 big knob is a passive volume controller and switch only, there is no headphone amp, (and you're already monitoring your headphones from the Fiio), so keep that as is... then use a 3.5mm to dual 1/4" TS cable to go from the Fiio's line out (rear) to the Mackie inputs -

examples -

u/applevinegar · 2 pointsr/audiophile

If your motherboard and TV both have either optical or coaxial SPDIF, you can use this DAC and just flip the switch.

u/PixelonTV · 2 pointsr/edmproduction

What port would you use to input DAW/windows sound into the audio interface? Im trying to map the cables out and I can't figure out how the DAW audio would go to the monitoring port or if that's even possible.

Also what are the "main left/right outputs". What is their function? Is this how the master audio from the interface gets into your DAW/windows?

EDIT: ok I mapped out the cable connections. I need to know how my DAW will communicate with the audio interface.

  • Is it a two way line or does that connection (PC/DAW and interface) go one way?

  • Will I be able to play a project in my DAW and be able to hear it out of the monitoring port? If this is not possible, how would I make the PC/DAW audio output to the monitoring devices?

    EDIT2: Does this make more sense? I think this cable may be able to take the 1/4" main outputs to 3.5 to go into an audio splitter for monitoring. My question then would be does the USB C connector act as a master out to the DAW?

    Sorry for the questions but I want to make sure everything will work how i think it will. Theres a lot of things I dont understand
u/ZeM3D · 2 pointsr/audiophile

You need this. As the other poster said, the green port supplies both channels.

u/todays-tom-sawyer · 2 pointsr/audio

Okay. So if I understand correctly your cable only has one 1/4" connector, right? Something like this: ?

If so, the issue is that you're trying to connect your PC's stereo output (meaning it has two channels, left and right) into a balanced input (a more advanced for of a mono one channel input. Look up balanced signal if you want to learn more). The mixer input is not designed to handle a stereo signal, so it won't process it correctly.

Ideally, you should use a cable that has two 1/4" connectors (one for the left and one for the right) like this: and plug them into 2 separate channels on your mixer.

u/DPSnacks · 2 pointsr/WeAreTheMusicMakers

Why couldn't you use something like this:

and allow the venue to send that track back to the monitors for the drummer

u/KingLouisIXofFrance · 2 pointsr/podcasts

You would plug this cable into the mixers external out and the other end into your laptop

Hosa CMP-153 3.5 mm TRS to Dual 1/4 inch TS Stereo Breakout Cable, 3 feet

u/climx · 2 pointsr/FL_Studio

yeah you can use those for sure. The headphones will still work and you should be able to adjust the headphone volume without disrupting the line out signal. All you need is this directly to your macbooks built in mic input. Should work perfectly for some basic recording.

u/oodsigma8 · 2 pointsr/audio

Line in channels 5/6 with this kind of cable. If you wanna do mono just do a 3.5mm to quarter inch :)

u/phrates · 2 pointsr/audiophile

It's not totally necessary. You could use this to connect your soundcard's output to the sub's inputs, and any XLR cables to connect the speakers to the sub's outputs. I haven't used a PC soundcard in about a decade, but that one looks better than average. The only problem would be potential feedback from the computer, but I believe a lot of people use that cable from a computer to the 305s with no issues.

u/picmandan · 2 pointsr/BudgetAudiophile

Hookups in the back. See the cable type I linked earlier. You'd need longer lengths but could use extenders.

Edit: Sorry, I decided not to provide a cable link until you decided what to hookup. Assuming you have 3.5mm aux out, and the JBLs, but no sub, you would get something like a 3.5mm (1/8") TRS plug to dual 1/4" mono TS plugs cable.. That's only 3 feet, so you'd need extenders too. With the sub, there would be more connections to make.

u/fknwayshegoes · 2 pointsr/MPClife

I just use a headphone to dual 1/4 cable and sample sounds from my computer or phone (Or anything with a headphone out) into my 2000.

u/nikofeyn · 2 pointsr/synthesizers

Hosa CSS-204 Dual 1/4 inch TRS to Dual 1/4 inch TRS Stereo Interconnect Cable, 13.1 feet

use that for the outputs directly from the ion's outputs.

Hosa CMP-153 3.5 mm TRS to Dual 1/4 inch TS Stereo Breakout Cable, 3 feet

use that if you really want to use the headphone output. both options are single cables, and the first option is better, especially if the ion's outputs are balanced.

u/achtagon · 2 pointsr/piano

Not exactly sure what's wrong but could be an issue with the input levels on your sound card or issues with a low quality soundcard; they can be quite poor as they're generally used for microphones for Skype and not designed for serious use. If you'd like to rule that out and get an audio interface I'd look at a Behringer UCA202 for $30 before you get into higher end. I love how this review points out that it's cheap but accurate:

I've had one for a few months and it's plug and play with mac, pc, and linux and just works and gets out of the way.

As for your cables, if you have a mono left and right output (like for hooking to a monitor / PA stage system) then you need a cable like this to go from 2x mono to stereo:

If there's a headphone output that's stereo then that can go right to the computer which it sounds like you did. Just be mindful of mono / stereo as there may be some detail to the sound that uses stereo separation to achieve its effects.

u/jelly1st · 2 pointsr/audioengineering

Yeah, I doubt that mixer even takes balanced signals through the 1/4" connections so TS tips will be fine. TRS tips may work but it depends how it's wired, you may end up losing one side of the stereo image. This is what you want.

edit: Looking at the product page it does accept balanced inputs. Shouldn't make a difference though.

u/BurningCircus · 2 pointsr/audioengineering

Theoretically you could get away with powering your stereo from the headphone jack, but you'd have to put up with switching cables if you wanted to use your headphones. Perhaps a 1/8" stereo to dual 1/4" mono cable would be helpful in getting your signal from the proper outputs? You may have to get a female to female gender-bender to get the signal to your speakers.

u/flehrad · 2 pointsr/microphones

So you'd use one of these ( plugged into , and then the other side to the pink(mic) or blue (line in) jack ports in your motherboard.

You can boost it with software if you like, but if you don't get a good signal/noise ratio set up, you will also be boosting 'noise' in the sound, which then if you filter it, you'll 'dull' your overall sound too.

A cloudlifter is really for dynamic and ribbon mics, which the NT1 isn't, so you wouldn't get any benefit from using one. In fact, taking a look at their information it says specifically

"Connect the accompanying input (the female XLR jack to the left of the Cloud logo. to any PASSIVE microphone (ribbon, dynamic, crystal or otherwise). The phantom power will not pass through the Cloudlifter to the microphone. Conversely, it cannot be used with the phantom powered microphones."

Which the NT1 is.

u/annihilatorg · 2 pointsr/audiophile

Many companies sell modified O2s with 1/4" headphone ports. Both JDSlabs and mayflower for example have some.

Yes, you could use the mbox as an external DAC.

If the 1/4" speaker outs are line level, you can get a dual-mono 1/4" TS to 3.5mm stereo adapter. like this:

u/thatsanumberwang · 2 pointsr/synthdiy

What do you mean by responsive? Do you mean that it doesn't trigger the envelopes when you press a key?

Assuming you are using a cable that is 1/8" stereo to 1/4" mono like this one you should be able to plug the 1/8" jack into CV output port 1 on the QuNexus.
Then the 1/4" "tip" jack would plug into CV in on the soundlab, and the "ring" jack should plug into the Gate in. Is this how you have it set up?

u/sofaraway731 · 2 pointsr/audio

The cheapest way would be this guy, but only if you have a line-level output on your computer... which I think most do.

The better option would be to get an audio interface like this, which connects over USB, and

u/phancdp · 1 pointr/audiophile

"find a better subwoofer with more connections" im assuming you mean UNLESS i choose the LSR310?

so if I choose the LSR310 does that mean the HOSA cable i already bought will be enough? the y splitter? just to clarify im talking about this: do i need to buy any more cables if i choose the LSR310?

u/sik-sik-siks · 1 pointr/audio

If you can, go down to somewhere that sells all the speakers you are considering, bring along some of your own music that you know well, and listen to each set of speakers until you decide which pair sound the best to you. Different people will hear things differently and you can't always trust a review to be right for your ears. Reviews are good for things like general build quality of the device and things like that.

I'd go with the mini to 1/4" cables. No need for TRS because the mini end is unbalanced by default anyway.

You don't need anything else to hook these speakers up. No interfaces required. The audio output from the MB is already doing that work for you.

u/crashed_wave · 1 pointr/synthesizers

So just to be clear, the sound wouldn't be any less full/powerful if an entire channel is cut out? I was thinking I'd just use a couple of these.

u/clamskittles · 1 pointr/pcmasterrace

I think i'll try this 3.5mm to dual 1/4 TS cable before the nano patch. does that make sense?

u/ocinn · 1 pointr/audiophile
u/jfrenaye · 1 pointr/podcasting

Cheap. Have not seen one for the new iPhones with the lightning, so I will be using the adapter Apple provided.

u/EumenidesTrousers · 1 pointr/makinghiphop

You could just take a stereo jack to mono left and right cable, plug the stereo end into the headphones out of a tape deck and the L+R into your interface. That's how I do it.

u/dmb247 · 1 pointr/Beatmatch

Hmm, TRS. That term is new to me. I've heard of Speakon cables and XLR as well, but haven't heard much about this type.

Something like this?

u/deplorable-d00d · 1 pointr/BudgetAudiophile

If the interference goes away when you unplug the USB from the DAC, yet the DAC is still hooked into the powered speakers, then you're hearing a ground loop. This is because you're grounding your equipment together through the analog 3.5mm cable to the DAC then USB to your PC.

I used to get this from plugging the 3.5mm headphone output from a phone into my line in on my Saffire DAC, then once I plugged in the USB to keep the battery charging on the phone, it would make a loop.

A couple thing may help you.

One is going with a dual balanced XLR with a 3.5mm adapter:

or dual 1/4" TRS -

(there are many variations of these out there).

The other option is to put a ground loop isolator in line with your analog unbalanced RCA signal:

You could also try a USB filter (some have inputs for an external power supply) -

(Or even just getting a better USB cable with ferrite chokes)

Or of course, last resort - just get a cleaner, pro DAC, like a Focusrite Scarlett Solo

u/smitcolin · 1 pointr/podcasting

Using a tablet connected with a 3.5mm TRS to Dual 1/4 mono. It seems to get the audio to the DAW and main mix easily enough. Here’s the link

HOSA HOS CMP153 Stereo Mini Male to Phone Y-Cable, 3 Feet

EDIT: Corrected Apple autocucumber

u/nakedspacecowboy · 1 pointr/audioengineering

I couldn't see why not. Assuming you're using something like this:

u/minty901 · 1 pointr/guitarpedals

I have the perfect, cheap solution for you. I use it and it works wonderfully.:


My setup is very similar to yours. I go guitar -> sansamp -> flashback -> hall of fame -> FiiO headphone amp -> headphones

Other people will give you other solutions like going into an interface or into a computer. I've spent months and months trying to find the perfect solution and I'm confident this is it. There is no analog-digital conversion going on so there's no latency or digital clipping. There's no reliance on a computer or even a mains socket of any kind. The headphone amp holds its charge for a very long time, and if it runs out you can charge it by USB. It's also very portable and tiny and light (it just hangs there between headphones and pedalboard) and it is also great for boosting the volume of your phone/ipod for listening to music on the go (its intended application, in fairness).

u/asplodzor · 1 pointr/audio

I’ve never heard of 6.35, but I’m assuming you mean 1/4 inch? You’re looking for single 1/8th inch (or 3.5 mm) TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) to dual 1/4 inch TS (tip, sleeve). They are pretty standard.

Here is one:

Edit: Not sure what you mean by “mic”. These are line-level cables and connectors which don’t really have anything to do with microphones. Maybe that was what was fouling up your search results.

u/Left_ctrl · 1 pointr/Twitch

Yeah, essentialy you'd use headphone or line out to a cable like this. Then use another cable like that from the mixer to the PC. You might need a ground loop isolator like this to eliminate any hum coming from the PCs.

I realize now this may have been what you were talking about before. I was up super late and my reading comprehension may have been suffering. For some reason I thought you were going to run both PCs into a splitter and then into the mixer. TL;DR I'm dumb.

u/dingusdongus · 1 pointr/techsupport

I am unaware of any software means by which you can stream audio from your Xbox to your PC.

As far as hardware goes, you do not want to use a simple splitter for mixing two sound sources into a single input. You could buy a cheap mixer to achieve this, however. Something like the Behringer Micromix MX400 would work, but it only takes mono inputs, so you would need adapters to split the stereo outputs of your PC and Xbox to mono outputs. Get a couple of these with the Micromix:

and you would be set. Based on Amazon's prices, the whole thing would run you about $30.

u/masscompliant · 1 pointr/audio

Plug the microphone in to channel 1 with an XLR cable. Plug your PC from its headphone jack in to Line in 3 and 4 with a cable like this one.

u/iceandbro · 1 pointr/edmproduction

If you truly want to rule out your interface, I'd buy something like this and if the problem still persists then you know its software vs hardware.

u/natem345 · 1 pointr/SoundSystem

I'd get two of these, specifically. The B212D's if you can afford them, they'll be significantly louder & more bass (but still won't be very strong, you'll need a sub for that).

As for cables, if you might want to hook up a mic or multiple things or need an easy volume control (each speaker will have its own, but you may be able to use your laptop's), get a tiny cheap Behringer mixer. If it's just one device, you can use a cable like this (since those speakers have 1/4" inputs, cheaper than XLR), and extensions like this if needed

Strongly consider speaker stands if needed, they should be about ear level.

u/Arve · 1 pointr/audiophile

> I'm basically looking for something bass heavy ? I believe.

With bass, quality trumps quantity. Given your budget, I would advice against a subwoofer: Placing it for optimal response is a non-trivial task that involves crawling around your room, and possibly placing the sub at the least convenient place in the room.

You're not saying where you will be sitting when listening to music, but if you are like 90% of the people who come in here, the normal listening position is "in front of a computer", in which case a pair of near-field monitors is making a lot of sense. If that is the case, the Emotiva AirMotiv 4 speakers make a whole lot of sense, and have usable bass extension well into the sub-bass area. The only thing you will need in addition, is a 1/8 to dual 1/4 TRS->TS cable, like this. Yes, at $314, they break your budget by a bit, but it may be well worth it.

If you want even more bass, Amazon currently has a sale on the M-Audio BX8, at $279, but be warned that they are fairly huge for standmount/bookshelf speakers.

u/SaabFan87 · 1 pointr/audiophile

OK so from Computer Via USB to E10k, from E10k via "line out" to the 305s. Now the cable you will need is a 3.5mm to two balanced This or to two 1/4" mono. This though that 1/4" example might be a bit short depending on where your speakers are going.

u/dayvan · 1 pointr/Chromecast

You're right about the BT Harman Kardons, the sticks are still wired. So not worth getting the BT model, which costs about 60$ more.

>Those speakers only have one input, so if you want to connect to CC/laptop/projector you might have problems.

Yeah, I would need to switch cables between Projector and CC Audio.

>powered studio monitors also make good computer speakers and would probably work better for whole-room sound

Yeah, been looking at those too, but as I've read, I need to ge tthe correct cable if for example the speakers have a TRS balanced 1/4" input. It would have to be a Stereo 1/8"(3.5mm) to a Mono 1/4"(6.3mm)

>HDMI-CEC should allow you to play/pause the chromecast, but I wouldn't expect to have much luck controlling a computer.

There are some posts/articles are suggesting that HDMI-CEC TVs seem to work, I'd ned to verify if the Projector I will be getting also works.

I've got a friend that can lend me his Harman Kardons, so I'll just gonna get the CC Audio (which I wil use either way) and see how it works with them.

Thanks for the feedback.

u/corbytender · 1 pointr/synthesizers

In the video, he's running the OP-1 into a TC Hall of Fame Reverb using a cable like this.

Then likely into an audio interface (off-camera) -> computer. It's also possible he's going into another recording source, like a Zoom Handy Recorder. Same basic idea.

u/Football_Enthusiast · 1 pointr/audioengineering

Yes my speaker has a 3.5mm aux in, but since Focusrite 2i2 has 1/4 inch TRS jack in the back so do you think something like [this] ( will help me to connect this interface to speaker?

u/S_W · 1 pointr/hometheater

You'll need a 1/8" stereo to 1/4" mono male-to-male cable. You need to make sure that it splits the stereo signal properly, otherwise you won't get proper left/right channel split. Something like THIS would work well. This cable just plugs into the same output you'd use for normal computer speakers, I think usually the port is lime green.

Also just so you are aware, the LSR308s are quite large. Just make sure you have enough space for them and are OK with the size.

u/WhackTheSquirbos · 1 pointr/headphones

Thank you! I'm very new to all of this so your advice is much appreciated. The interface also comes in a version with stereo jack outputs. Do you think that would make any difference as far as impedance?

I guess I'd use something like this to connect my headphones to it.

EDIT: looking closer, the end of the cable that attaches to the headphones is 2.5mm, but another adapter could solve that, I think. Way too much work, I know - but man, does that knob look satisfying 😅

u/mobyhead1 · 1 pointr/audio

I found the link to your other conversation.

In that conversation, the other redditor recommends using a TRS to TS breakout cable like this one on Amazon. And you know what? It might work. Maybe the circuitry inside the speakers can recognize and accommodate a non-balanced signal. Of course, it would be nice if the other redditor had addressed this concern! Instead, he gave you a breezy easy-peasy answer. Maybe he's right, and he didn't want to over-complicate his answer for you. Maybe he's wrong. I know just enough to know he might be wrong.

This isn't the sort of question I would want to find the answer to by spending hundreds of dollars ordering stuff I can't return.

If the other redditor can allay the concerns I've brought up--can a non-balanced signal from a splitter cable be fed into a speaker that is designed for balanced signals?--then maybe your purchase will be satisfactory. Absent an in-store test or a bulletproof return policy, I wouldn't risk my money. And I still say he's recommending you spend more money than you need to.

u/Manak1n · 1 pointr/Monitors

It's hard to link a video since you'd be subject to the monitor speaker quality, the microphone of the camera, and your headphone quality. Those two extra layers make comparison almost impossible.

I've heard great things about these speakers, but you'll need a 1/8" to 2x 1/4" adapter. My brother has the 8" variant and they sound absolutely superb (you can feel the bass in your chest!). They do, however, take up a lot of space. Monoprice has a Cyber Monday discount code rn, so take advantage of that if it's still running when you decide to buy.

u/zim2411 · 1 pointr/audiophile
u/gyp_casino · 1 pointr/audioengineering

Thanks for the reply. Is this the sort of cable I need? Unfortunately I don't know the difference between TR and TRS. This item says "TRS."

u/LolMeister117 · 1 pointr/LinusTechTips

a sound card, any kind will do.
2 sets of 3.5mm to 1/4" splitters
a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter (Don't need if your headset already has one)
a mixer like this

Hook up your 2 sound cards and headphones to the ports at the top of the mixer. Set only Teamspeak to use this sound card as playback device. Everything will still use the system default. Touch the knobs to adjust volumes.

u/wiremonster · 1 pointr/audioengineering

Assuming your PC has a 3.5mm line input socket. What you need is one of these:



USB audio interfaces are generally used by people wanting to record microphones or instruments directly to pc/mac without the need for a mixer. Behringer make one:



Personally, I'd cancel the mixer, get an interface and do the mixing in the computer - but you can get decent results either way.


u/Einsteins_coffee_mug · 1 pointr/pocketoperators

Looks like 1/4” XLR combo inputs, meaning a regular old 1/4” line will work.

Which means you can go with a 3.5mm TRS to DUAL 1/4” TS breakout cable to record from the PO headphone jack.

u/ProducerKarl · 1 pointr/podcasts

I believe you can use a 3.5mm to dual 6.35mm cable and plug your phone directly into the Focusrite and get your mother to call you.

u/chaz393 · 1 pointr/BudgetAudiophile

I also have HS5's and I got the 2i2 on sale for $100. I got it mostly for the outputs for the monitors, but I felt wrong using a cheap dac with such expensive speakers. I previously had a Fiio D3 dac and used the 1/8" output to a 4 channel headphone amp, and then split one of the outputs from that to 1/4" jacks for each of the monitors. I didn't need a 4 channel amp, I just wanted a way to use headphones with separate volume control. That worked just fine honestly. Still great sound, I just like the simplicity and premium-ness of the Scarlett. Plus it's really nice to have a headphone jack on the front of the interface, where with my previous setup it was on the back of the amp. I also use an xlr mic to chat every now and then with friends when I play games, so that's nice. But that doesn't seem to apply to your situation. So if you want MUCH better quality than your motherboard's sound card, go with the Fiio and a couple adapters. It's also worth noting that the Fiio I mentioned only has optical toslink and coaxial input. If you motherboard doesn't have digital audio, you're out of luck for it. The usb on it is purely for power. But I'm sure there are nice usb dacs at a decent price too. If any of this doesn't make sense or you need more help, just let me know, I'd be happy to help or clarify! :D

Edit: also nice to see someone else on the Yamaha team. I am absolutely in love with mine. Worth every penny

Edit2: I actually use the xlr inputs on the monitors, even when I used unbalanced connections. I like how much beefier xlr connections are than 1/4". But that's purely personal preference. They worked just fine though

Last edit, I promise. I don't recommend using a super cheap dac like a $6 one. You spent $400 on monitors, get something decent or you might be wasting the potential of those monitors. The Fiio is $30, so try to aim for something around that.

And you'll be set

u/MiTurnerMC · 1 pointr/Twitch

Xenyx 802 boards are not a USB audio interface. You would need to plug in your mic into ch1 or ch2, then if you just want to send you Mic input to your PC then you will need to take cable like this one ( and plug it into your Main Out then the 3/4 end would plug into your microphone input on your PC.

You may want to use a ground loop isolator as well to ensure a clear and clean transfer of sound from the mixer to the PC. This is a good one ( I hope this helps :)

u/mage2k · 1 pointr/synthesizers

> Do I need to connect the SH-01A directly into my soundcard?

Yes, in addition to the USB connection you're already using for MIDI you need to a cable with a 1/8" stereo mini jack on one end plugged into the Output plug on the SH01a that goes to two 1/4" TS jacks plugged into the inputs on your interface. One of these would do it.

u/create-a-useraccount · 1 pointr/buildapcsales

Stop telling people the wrong shit. Your info is filled with inaccuracies.

According to the manual, XLR is for balanced signals only, so shouldn't use "RCA-to-XLR" since RCA is unbalanced (see why it's a bad idea). 1/4 inch connector can handle both balanced and unbalanced signal. You can use a 3.5mm to dual TS breakout cable like the one below to connect this directly to any 3.5mm jack whether its a soundcard or an phone, etc.

ALL YOU NEED IS THIS CABLE: Connect 3.5mm to your source (soundcard, phone, etc) and the 1/4 inch to the speakers. Set the input sensitivity to -10dBv.

IF YOU HEAR HIGH PITCHED BUZZING: If you're connected to a computer and hear high pitched buzzing when you move your mouse, you will NEED a DAC with an independent power supply not connected to the computer. This means a USB DAC that has its own power supply, like the FiiO D03K with a USB charger or Micca Origen NOT something that gets its power from the USB port.

Alternatively, you can also go the pro route and get an interface like Scarlett 2i2 which DOES have balanced XLR outs. Warning: This is powered by the USB port so it is possible that it also suffers the same power interference problems as most USB DACs. The 6i6 has its own power supply but it's probably too expensive for most people. If using BALANCED/pro equipment, set input sensitivity to +4dBu.

u/TemputFugis · 1 pointr/FL_Studio

The cable you have is a MIDI to USB adapter cable which sends MIDI data only. You need to connect the keyboard's audio output to the audio input of your computer in order to record sound.

Judging from this page in the manual it looks like you need a dual 1/4" ("big aux" plugs) to 3.5mm (small/headphone aux plug) - this guy right here.

However, it explicitly says in the manual that the AUX output volume is at a fixed level and can't be controlled from the keyboard. Since the AUX output cables are unbalanced AND you're going directly into your PC you might have an issue getting a reasonable volume level without noise. The external sound card is priceless here, without it you're more than likely going to be fighting for volume and/or sound quality.

Once you have everything set up it's as easy as changing the Input on a mixer track to the corresponding input on your PC (AUX in or USB in). You can then use Edison to record the audio from the keyboard.

u/phobos2deimos · 1 pointr/audio

Yeah, so you have some options here. You would do your headphones on the PHONES output, and to go to your stream PC input you'd take your MAIN OUT 1/4" L&R and adapt them to 1/8" stereo with a cable like this. You could get two more of those cables and use that for the output of your Game PC to Inputs 2 & 3 and also the output your Stream PC to Inputs 4 & 5. See this pic, should get you going but if not shoot me a note.

u/nm1000 · 1 pointr/piano

Yes. The MP11SE has 1/4 audio inputs that that mixes with the MP11SE audio. You should hear it in the the headphones. It has it's own volume fader.

If your computer has 1/8 stereo output you'll need a 3.5 mm TRS to Dual 1/4 inch TS Stereo Breakout Cable like this. A phone or MP3 player would use that.

If your computer has RCA phono line outputs then you'll need two RCA phono to 1/4" TS cables like this pair. Note they might come as a pair or individually.

u/hostnik · 1 pointr/synthesizers

Yes, that should work, you'll just need a Dual 1/4" TS to 3.5mm TRS stereo breakout cable like this one, since the Micron has stereo outs, and the U22 has a 3.5mm stereo in. It also has a 1/4" input, but only one, so you'd have to do some weird splitting across the 2 jacks, which would be more complicated for no good reason. That would be more for a mono synth, guitar, bass, microphone etc - any mono signal.

u/GoreSeeker · 1 pointr/audiophile

So I have a PreSonus AudioBox USB 96 2x2 USB Audio Interface along with PreSonus Eris E3.5 monitors.
I was wondering if there is a quality difference if I use a Dual TS to 3.5mm cable from the AudioBox into the Aux In of the monitors, versus two balanced TRS cables straight from the AudioBox to the TRS input of the monitors. Just wondering because I have the TS to 3.5mm laying around, but I would have to pick up another set of TRS if I can get better quality out of those.

u/maxgerald · 1 pointr/Twitch

I guess without knowing how you already have it setup, and what software you are using... I would set it up like this :)

Samson Q7s into Ch1 and Ch2 via XLR cables
1/8" stereo to split 1/4" L/R input via the Line In 3/4 (this cable)
Headphones in the phones plug :)

For output, either use another of the same cable and run it to from the Main Out L/R to the PC's Line In plug or connect to the PC via USB.

I love my behringer mixers (I have 4 of them) but the 2-track option I've never cared for in broadcasting situations. If you really need to use the 2-track loop, remember that it is always on via USB connection. Also, the buttons you are curious about are pretty basic when you use the Main Outs. Anything connected via the 2-Track input will pass through to the 2-Track Output, but will also be sent to the Headphones & Control Room outputs and/or Main Out if you press the corresponding button.

If you are using OBS or Xsplit, you will have to disable system playback sounds being grabbed for stream.

u/touchmybutt420 · 1 pointr/ableton

>I've never been too wise on midi so I really don't know. it has a USB mini input I know that

A quick look in the manual says that you can address the elecrtibe over midi through the USB cable. You should be able to see it in your DAW as a midi device.

> is Ableton live really that superior to Pro Tools?

This is very subjective. Ableton's strength is the clip based workflow. Generating ideas in Ableton is a breeze. I feel that Ableton is unparalleled in this department. The arrangement view is just as capable as any other DAW, but it is my understanding that pro tools and logic may have the edge here.

> Also, if you have a license for Ableton Live installed on a desktop, could you also install it on a laptop?

Yes. Ableton's default licensing policy is to allow you to install it on 2 devices that you use actively. You aren't supposed to use them simultaneously though.

>How do you send the Ableton audio to Front of House? Just the headphone out jack?

This will probably be fine. You might want to get an adapter like this to be prepared to plug into most mixing boards: . You could also get an audio interface with will have quarter inch outputs for the left and right channels.

> how do professionals work from Pro Tools to Ableton Live?

From what I understand, professionals who use pro tools to produce and ableton to perform will mix their songs down to stems that they use in ableton. Maybe this is separate drum, bass, synth, and effects tracks. It really depends on what you want to do in your live performance that will dictate what you will want.

> The Electribe comes with Ableton Live Lite

Live Lite is pretty full featured, if you're just getting started you may not even need to upgrade yet.

u/urmthrshldknw · 1 pointr/synthesizers
u/LtRoyalShrimp · 1 pointr/Twitch

Thanks for the info.

I have some of these cables laying around, would they work?


u/mistress2 · 1 pointr/podcasts

Yes unfortunately it is. I was able to get live-stream to pick everything up when I figured out I had to assign my firewire audio (aka the Mac audio) to the "main mix" - unfortunately I'm looking to make my "firewire aka Mac audio" it's own unique track. I think if I get a cable like this:

I may be able to accomplish this through my 5/6 channel. Does this make sense? What do you think?

u/Bad_Times_Man · 1 pointr/audio

The mixer is a RDL HD-MA35U, here's the link to the vendor page

Which makes the most sense, going from the PC through the TV to the mixer, or from the PC to the mixer? Maybe this breakout cable would work if PC > Mixer is the best (shortest) route?

u/79ford · 1 pointr/hometheater

Thanks! I like that price a lot more than the route I was thinking about going.

I was thinking about getting a set of Mackie 3" ( along with a breakout cable ( to hook up the speakers to my laptop.

Don't need anything super theater quality, just something that sounds decent and able to perform halfway decent outside.

u/Kaligraphic · 1 pointr/audio

You could use a 3.5mm to dual 1/4" cable, plug both 1/4" plugs into the speaker, and just leave your phone on top of or near the speaker. You'd just have to make sure both inputs are set to the same level so that you don't miss out on any sounds that are only on one side.

u/cfreetherapper · 1 pointr/podcasts

what you need my friend, is a Zoom r 16. It's a digital mixer that a lot of pros use. Affordable too 300-400 bucks. It allows you to record your mics to the mixer itself, and then import later to computer as wav files for editing/mixing. you need a single 1/8 stereo to two 1/4 mono cable to connect your computer directly into the board. link here

this cable will connect your computer speaker out put to the board. then from the board you can control all your mics and the sound clips from the computer, and play you tube live as much as you want. The sound will all end up in the board and not on your computer as you record it. That's how you create that "live" effect you want.

u/joshontheweb · 1 pointr/synthesizers

I had this problem. The right and left channels are canceling each other out when you mix them. Get one of these and use two separate channels on your mixer

EDIT: Just read the second paragraph. You've already solved it. Nothing to see here...

u/PoopRaider · 1 pointr/pocketoperators

Yeah I got this

It works to if you unplug one of them if you have two different inputs. It sounds great now!

u/RafacopterOG · 1 pointr/Twitch

Yea I think I understand. so basically i need a 3.5mm from the output on the PC to one of the channels in my mixer. What do you have as the playback device in windows? Also, my mixer has 1/4'' inputs so i'd either need something like this or id need a 3.5mm to (2)RCA and an two RCA to 1/4'' adapters? Thanks for the help

u/artfart · 0 pointsr/synthesizers

Also, your volcas will NOT work with a simple 1/8'' to 1/4" adapter. You will need a 1/8' - 1/4" stereo TRS cable., which will take up two channels.

Like this:

u/theriverman · 0 pointsr/synthesizers