Reddit Reddit reviews Rolls MX42 Stereo Mini Mixer

We found 66 Reddit comments about Rolls MX42 Stereo Mini Mixer. Here are the top ones, ranked by their Reddit score.

Musical Instruments
Music Recording Equipment
Rolls MX42 Stereo Mini Mixer
stereo4 channelsmixer rca passive
Check price on Amazon

66 Reddit comments about Rolls MX42 Stereo Mini Mixer:

u/Umlautica · 5 pointsr/BudgetAudiophile

That looks like it's for mono signals, not stereo. Try the Rolls MX42 instead.

u/Roppmaster · 5 pointsr/headphones

You need a line level mixer:

Connect the Modi and your monitor's line out to the inputs. Connect your Magni to the output.

u/Catman_6 · 3 pointsr/pcmasterrace

This is the one I have

It lowers the volume some but it's awesome when I want to watch TV and catch a youtube clip. There are more expensive active mixers that probably keep the volume up or amplify it, but they're much more expensive

u/achillesLS · 3 pointsr/BudgetAudiophile

I did a lot of research on this a while back for my desk setup. Ended up passing, but I found both of these came pretty highly reviewed:

u/picmandan · 3 pointsr/audiorepair

You need a mixer, like this, or maybe this would do.

u/LooneyNoons · 3 pointsr/hometheater

Sure, I am also doing this. What you need is an Audio Mixer. I use this for my system:

You can hook up to 4 audio sources (I have my TV, my PC and an AUX cable for my smartphone hooked up as sources) and 1 set of speakers (Output). I don't know if you are using chinch or normal 3.5mm AUX cables, so you probably have to buy some 3.5mm to chinch adapters, but they cost only 2 bucks ore so.

Greetings from Germany

u/EightOhms · 2 pointsr/audio

By definition what you need is a mixer. You'll just have to find a small one.


Perhaps this Rolls RCA mixer is small enough.

u/squirrelpotpie · 2 pointsr/AskElectronics

Here's one that I've been using for the last three years for a similar purpose, but it doesn't come with a power adapter so you need to also buy a universal power adapter to go with it.

It also has a few slight downsides that might bug you. First, you get independent volume knobs for each channel, so you have two volumes to change to adjust one stereo source, not one. Second, it uses 1/4" jacks, so you need adapters to plug in your electronics. Third, at least on mine the internal jacks didn't meet up perfectly with the 1/4" plugs when they were plugged all the way in. The weight of the wire would pull the tip of the plug away from the contact in the socket. I fixed that by putting the plug through a washer or piece of cardboard that stopped the plug from going in all the way. Has worked great ever since.

If I had a link to another similar mixer at similar price on hand I would recommend that instead. On the plus side, the Nady is built to be user-serviceable. There are probably better options that might be cheaper once you factor in the cost of power adapter. I spent a bunch of time shopping last time I needed one and found it surprisingly hard to get a simple, cheap, stereo, line-level mixer. Everything's either DJ equipment, made for microphones and not line level, or a huge crazy $400 mixer board with tons of channels like you would use for recording a band.

I'll look around a little bit longer, but here's what you're looking for in a mixer case I come up dry:

  1. Has actual gain knobs, not just volume or level knobs. Note the bad Amazon reviews on this one, that it cuts the output volume too much. That's because the volume knobs only from zero to slightly-less-than-100%. Gain knobs go above 100%.
  2. Is not a DJ-style "crossfade" mixer like this one. Note the slider on the panel... That means it's set up to crossfade between two different things, so when it's in the middle both things will be at half volume.
  3. Is built for line level (keyboards, CD players etc.), not microphones or guitars. If it's 1/4" jacks or RCA jacks it's probably fine. If it has XLR jacks you probably won't be able to use those inputs. (But you can just turn them to zero volume and ignore them.)
  4. (EDIT) Doesn't collapse channels to mono, like this asshole device does. (I thought it was a good alternative to the NADY, until I read the fine print.)
u/reddsbywillie · 2 pointsr/BudgetAudiophile

Have you considered a mini mixer? I haven't personally used one, but it seems like a perfect solution for your needs.
Here's an example, but I'm sure there are a range of options out there:

Each source (computer) gets a 3.5mm to RCA cable. Then you run the mini mix out to your existing amp in any of the aux inputs. Allows you to balance each source to the volume you want, run all 3 at the same time, and send the sound as a single source to your receiver/amp. Gives you room to add another if you need it, gives you volume on each, it's physically small. The only box it doesn't check is that it's still a moderate amount of wires, but if you set it up cleanly, that shouldn't be a huge factor with some ties.

u/Blze001 · 2 pointsr/headphones

You need a stereo mixer, something like this

They also make one with 1/4" inputs and outputs, but the best solution would be to plug your source and guitar amp into this box, then the output goes to your Marantz for the final amping before going to your headphones, otherwise you have to play with volume knobs in three different places to get it to sound right.

u/lushpuppie · 2 pointsr/synthesizers

There are also passive mixers.

EDIT: Technically, you can use one of these, as well, but I'm not sure what that would mean for the output... If it would still be stereo from each unit, or not. I think it would also mess with the volumes.

Or combine 5 into one:

u/MoogleMan3 · 2 pointsr/buildapc

Not the cheapest solution, but this allows you to use your PC audio and PS4 audio simultaneously. Works great if you have a second monitor.

Get an hdmi audio extractor to get sound from your ps4, and a mixer. Use a 3.5mm to dual ts cable going from your PC's line out (green) to the mixer, and rca to ts cables going from the extractor to the mixer, and whatever cable your speakers use.

A cheaper mixer option. Another mixer option.

u/sik-sik-siks · 2 pointsr/audio

That loopmixer is all mono so you will lose all the stereo from all your sources if you got that. It's the right idea though. You want something that is a stereo mixer, or even cheaper would be just a simple switch like this. Super cheap, passive so it requires no power, and does the job. Unless you need to actually mix your inputs, this will do just fine.

If you want to be able to mix sound from, say the PS4 and an iPod, then you will need an active stereo mixer maybe like this. Also passive, cheap, and keeps things stereo. There are lots and lots of more expensive options in this area too, just watch out that they are stereo on the input side. Many professional mixers will be called "stereo" because they output stereo, but really they offer pan control of a bunch of mono inputs.

u/certnneed · 2 pointsr/audio

You're going to need an audio mixer of some type.

(note: for the Bluetooth receiver, you'll need a Y cable to feed the mono signal to both channels.)

u/sushiricebox · 2 pointsr/discordapp

What you might want to be looking for is a stereo mini mixer i think.

u/oddsnsodds · 2 pointsr/audiophile

This. You want a switch or a mixer. With a straight circuit cable like the ones you linked, the outputs will try to drive each other and that can damage them.

Here's a mixer.

u/djbeefburger · 2 pointsr/audio

Not quite. That will only do one pair of L&R - you need two pairs.

It seems like it's a little tough to find a minimal mixer with XLR outputs, but you can also use something with RCA or 1/4" outputs to connect the mixer to the KRKs instead... e.g.

u/techwiz2017 · 2 pointsr/amazonecho

So one question, if you plug your echo directly into the input (skipping the record player) does the sound work properly ?

I was trying to do a similar split for my grandma, she had a set of computer speakers as her home theater and it only had 1 3.5mm input. I bought the same splitter as you did thinking I could run her TV output and echo into that splitter and the speaker would play whatever is being piped through.

But I ran into a similar issue as you where the TV volume was incredibly muted. I think the issue had something to do with the echo constantly outputting a very small sound output or low frequently or something , that was overriding the TV signal. I determined this since I had previously run a DVD player into the second input, and as long as it was off, there was no issue of the splitter fighting between 2 sources.

So i think because the echo is outputting some time of “phantom” power, an analog splitter can’t handle that.

I haven’t come up with a solution to the same issue. But I think it would either be:

1: get an A/B switch that someone else here mentioned
2. Get a Bluetooth adapter that powers off when not in use
3. Get a 2 channel (or more ) audio mixer. Did a search on amazon and this came up , and would probably work:

Rolls MX42 Stereo Mini Mixer

Or look for a mixer with 3.5mm audio inputs, Just make sure they are stereo. I’m also not sure if your turntable is stereo, you might need a mono to stereo adapter to get it playing on all speakers.

I hope that helps!

u/Shirkaday · 1 pointr/SoundSystem

You could do it with simple RCA Y-splits.

If you want separate level control without having to go to the speakers to turn up or down, you might be able to use this:

and run it backwards. I.e., input going into the holes labled "output" and then the signal is split across the 4 stereo "inputs" which are now your outputs. You might have a little signal loss doing that, but it's also totally passive - one less thing to have to plug in.

You could also do it with a little headphone mixer like this guy:

with some 1/4" stereo -> RCA cables.

u/tehkhop · 1 pointr/techsupport

The problem with a Y cable, is not just limited to ground issues, the two source might try to drive each other, depending on the resistance and volume.

You'd be best off with a small stereo mixer, such as this one.

It does cost a bit, but in my opinion its worth it compared to a Y cable solution.

u/wygibmer · 1 pointr/audiophile

I have a question about volume reduction using a simple splitter like this vs a passive mixer like this. The splitter caused an unworkable drop in volume for me--is there reason to expect the passive mixer would be significantly better in this regard? I'm trying to run two phono sources into one preamp. I don't care if I can listen to them simultaneously, or adjust the levels of each separately, so alternative suggestions are welcome.

u/csmock · 1 pointr/Zeos

Settled on a mini mixer. Thank you for the advice.

u/blindluke · 1 pointr/piano

An adapter or splitter will not suffice. You have two sources of audio and you want to mix them into one audio stream that will flow into your speakers. You need a mixer, like this one.

u/ThePrimeCo · 1 pointr/PS4

I use a stereo mixer to connect my PC along with my consoles to my headphone amp/DAC.

There are lots of ways to connect everything, but this is how I do it:

  • 3.5mm headphone jack to RCA connects my PC to the mixer.
  • An HDMI audio extractor is used to connect my PS4 (and other HDMI consoles using an HDMI switch) to the mixer.
  • I use an RCA switch to connect multiple older consoles to another input on the mixer.
  • I then use an RCA to SPDIF/Optical adapter to connect the output of the mixer to my headphone amp.

    It's a lot of wires, and a lot of parts, but it allows me to hear what I want to hear, and at the volume I want.
u/somuchflannel · 1 pointr/audio

Update: the radioshack switch didn't work at all. For whatever reason the audio coming in on its RCA video input didn't trigger it to auto-select.

What I did find, though, is an equally good solution that works for my case. Since I only plan on having a single input playing at a time, I can use a mixer to achieve the same goal. All inputs all the time, instead of playing just the one with music on.

Similar incongruous options compared to what I want, but at least options are out there. Most seem targeted at 1/4" and Mono inputs/ouputs. A lot have 1 set of stereo-capable RCA inputs, but I specifically need (at a minimum) 2 sets of stereo RCA inputs. I could also use an adapter to convert to stereo 1/4", but pretty sure all the 1/4" inputs are mono. Here are some examples that might work:

Looked good at first, but complaints that the output is too weak (it's passive apparently)

3 stereo RCA inputs & stereo RCA output:

Has 2 RCA stereo inputs, but A/C adapter is sold separately and it's radioshack brand...

u/murderfacejr · 1 pointr/audio

I don't have a perfect solution for you. Your best bet would most likely be to convert the console optical to analog (rca or 3.5) and use a regular mixer. I also couldn't find a mixer with optical out, so you would then have to convert back to optical, which is kind of lame (unless your transmitter has a 3.5 input).

If you wanted to go this route here is a cheap optical/rca and here is a "cheap" mixer

u/3meta5u · 1 pointr/Chromecast

This is the right answer.

If you want something more complicated then buy a passive audio mixer like this

u/ChrisRK · 1 pointr/audio

That makes it easier. You can try the simplest solution first, use an AUX cable from the line out on the second PC into the line in on the primary and enable "Listen to this device" under Windows audio settings.

If you want to use hardware, you can get small stereo mixers in varying prices. There are passive mixers that could lower the volume on the stereo channel and active mixers that can keep the volume but also boost it.

Those are the best results I could weed out on Amazon that has stereo channels but I have no clue about the quality of those mixers as I have never used either of them. You will also need 3 pairs of 3.5mm to RCA cables, two for the computers and one for the headphone.

u/Jakomako · 1 pointr/buildapc

You're looking for two dacs and a mixer essentially. I really don't think you'll find anything that does that in a single package. Even if you get three parts, It's not too expensive. Here's what you'd need.



u/krilu · 1 pointr/audio

Then mostly you're gonna be doing a home audio entertainment setup, which IDEALLY, you would want a receiver. But good ones can be expensive.

Actually I would recommend a really simple device for this and just get this

u/fantompwer · 1 pointr/audio

Here is what you want

u/the_blue_wizard · 1 pointr/audio

Is there any chance something like this might work for you? These are Stereo Mixers -

Multiple Stereo In and One Stereo Out, and not excessively expensive.

u/wdouglass · 1 pointr/hometheater

you'd need a mixer (or a switch)

something like this might work:

u/super_not_clever · 1 pointr/audio

So something like this?

Or this, with the appropriate RCA to 1/8" adapters?

Note: I've never used or heard of the first link, but trust the manufacturer of the second link.

Or if you're willing to push a button to switch between the two... Again, I've not used this product:

Edit: also this little guy from Rolls

u/shitboots · 1 pointr/audiophile

Currently have a setup with Klipsch RB-51 IIs, but my roommate's taking them when he moves out. How would the JBL 305P MkIIs compare?

For usage, I'd like to have the speakers output my television's audio, and also connect to my chromecast audio. Would a Rolls MX42 Stereo Mini Mixer suffice for this? Is there any quality drop by relaying the signal through a mixer? Trying to avoid purchasing a receiver for this simple task.

u/sanityvampire · 1 pointr/24hoursupport

I think you'll need to use a mixer. They make tiny ones that are pretty much perfect for your use case.

This one is only 50 bucks on Amazon.

u/kungapa · 1 pointr/audiophile

> Yes, it is mad that there aren't more passive pre-amps on the market.

I'm not sure if you are pulling my leg - but I imagine there are plenty, no? :)

> Could look for one second hand or find an integrated amp (a.k.a. "stereo receiver") with pre-amp outputs?

That's a good idea, thanks! I imagine that if it has RCA out, that implies they are "pre-amp outputs", no?

> Yes but it doesn't have volume control and that is quite important (otherwise you will have to adjust the volume on both speakers when listening to vinyl.

Good point - thanks.

I've been digging around a bit more - and found some things that could work, but not sure about quality:

This would contain all that I need: bluetooth, 3.5 in, 2XRCA:

Or this:

I was also thinking of a Marantz R7 kit - fun to solder it together myself.

u/yobilltechno · 1 pointr/WeAreTheMusicMakers

This could work for you. Depends on how the audio out works on your TV.

u/Jaxcie · 1 pointr/audioengineering

From your description you want something like this.

But to be real the microphone only catches sound from 20 Hz to 20kHz, so any standard mixer should do. Using any standard audio format will remove all sound above 22050 Hz as cannot be heard by a human ear, the same goes for very low frequencies.

u/crapinet · 1 pointr/audio

Very cool. I wasn't 100% sure those existed until I looked. Something like this will only work with powered studio monitors (not passive ones, those would require a separate amp).

This is a much nicer suggestion than that other one I looked up - both of these were just quick Google searches, not well researched on my part.

And the cheapest mixer you could go with

Although, honestly, I'm not sure I'd get a behringer for something that I would trust to be on all the time. Their build quality isn't great (they're the cheapest for a reason). If it were me, I would get that $50 rolls above. It's simple, unpowered, and will probably be reliable for decades and the extra inputs and volume attenuation would make it far more usable. Just my 2 cents!

u/bryson430 · 1 pointr/whatisthisthing

Ok, I found a better pic of the back panel of a 102 Controller. It has two input channels (left and right, usually) for audio and a third input channel for "voice" in mono. It's really designed to be the controller that EQs your input for the speakers, not as a mixer or switcher for multiple sources. You should really add some kind of mixer or switcher between this and your sources to do it properly.

I wouldn't try wiring your aux input to the vacant "Voice" input as it looks like it does some "clever" EQ to optimize for speech, and will make your input sound terrible. (As well as only being half of the signal.)

In short, add a mixer of some kind. (How about this: Twice as big as you need but hey, it's $50.)

This device is there to protect your speakers and make them pretend not to be tiny Bose POS speakers. It's not the right way to get the signal in there.

EDIT: Unless, of course, the Aux cable is to REPLACE the existing input.... ?

u/JiNCMG · 1 pointr/pcparts

Nope that was not it (Already have a 4 line switcher) but that page led to this recommendation:

u/Freezerburn · 1 pointr/audio
u/yatrickmith · 1 pointr/vinyl

Rolls MX42 Stereo Mini Mixer

Would this work?

u/Daedalus359 · 1 pointr/audioengineering

I'm looking for a setup that can combine the audio outputs from 2 PCs into one output that goes into my headphones (AT m50X). I recently bought this which I now realize doesn't support stereo. Can anyone suggest a cheap (under $25) way to accomplish what I want with stereo?

Edit: would this and these do it?

u/wolfcry0 · 1 pointr/audio

If you have 2 devices and you want them both in your headphones then that's perfect for a basic mixer.

However the MX400 looks like it's mono, so not the right one for what you want. Look at stereo mixers like this one.

Edit: or this

u/bankaboard · 1 pointr/audio

3.5mm to 1/4 adapters. If they are stereo to mono, that's not the right way to combine L/R and it will do some weird things to your sound quality. If they are stereo to stereo, there's no telling what the mixer is doing internally with the unused right channel. It could be grounded, floating or tied to the left. Each scenario will cause different problems.

You should be using something like this:

BTW, You mentioned you have a record player. It should have a preamp built-in or you should be using a separate preamp with it.

u/ThatoneguyTonight · 1 pointr/battlestations

Rolls MX42 Stereo Mini Mixer

Yea to change the inputs you do it on the monitors. Trying to find a simpler way but it isn't the worst. It's the main reason there is a gap between the monitors so I can get my chubby fingers in there to change inputs.

u/LostVector · 1 pointr/NintendoSwitch

It can get kind of complicated, especially if you want native voice chat on multiple platforms.

But basically the idea is you just buy something like the Astro A50's, connect those to your PC via USB, and then run all your console audio in stereo to a mixer like this:

and then you pipe the output of that to your Astro A50 aux input.

u/OldSkooRebel · 1 pointr/audiophile

What would be the advantage of buying the Schlit sys or TCC TC-754 over something cheaper like this?

Second option seems pretty pricey, but thanks for the suggestions.

u/son1cs1ght · 1 pointr/headphones

Pretty much what your looking for isnt going to work well. The problem is that mixing multiple audio sources causes attenuation. So essentially if you want to mix 3 signals and play them through headphones you're going to need a powered mixer, which are either very expensive or very shity. Powered mixer circuitry is expensive if you do it right.

To answer your question, yes the 1/4 inputs are stereo but im guessing that setup won't sound very good.

My suggestion is if your going to go with a Mixer get a Rolls brand one. Ideally you should get a analog (non-powered) mixer and run the output to a headphone amp (like a cheap O2). Personally I use this:

and run it into my Lyr 2, and it works very well. But if you can't afford an amp then I would suggest going with something like this:

I've never personally heard Samsons products but I know Rolls tends to make high quality equipment for the price range.

u/Joey-Bag-A-Donuts · 1 pointr/Zeos

Yes I see where you're going there, however I'm not sure that mixer is as versatile as it looks at first glance. Unless I'm reading them wrong, the first slider is for the mic only, and the 2nd slider is for either usb or line, not both. Now, there are a couple (and I do mean a couple!) of line mixers that would be appropriate for my particular purpose (apparently I'm pretty rare in the computer/desktop/tv demographic). I found this, which is an active mixer. And then there's this guy which is passive, Some say the voltage drop through the signal path on this one degrades the audio somewhat. I have to say the Behringer's active electronics along with the price make it the more desirable of the two. Samson makes a 5 channel line mixer as well, but they're fifty bucks too. I'm really trying to keep my total expense as low as possible without losing the potential to hear good audio. Thanks for helping me out Zeos. I really appreciate it!

u/plig606 · 1 pointr/audiophile

I'm interested in a signal mixer like this 4 line device (Rolls MX42 Stereo Mini Mixer but am horrified of the likely impact to the sound quality. This wouldn't be on my main setup, but still would prefer not to totally mess up the sound quality of the system just for convenience sake.

And that is the reason I'm considering it, the idea is to simplify the steps required to set up and begin listening to music, so the wife doesn't need to fiddle with setting the correct input to put some music on (it's not that she's incapable, it's more like if it's just a bit easier to "just play" she'll happily use it more often which is a win for both of us)

I know the device will affect gain, but how? I'm guessing it won't be a nice flat attenuation, but will it vary depending on whatever's connected?

TLDR; does a signal combiner like the one linked above a really bad idea and if so, is there a higher quality alternative?

u/paulmarchant · 1 pointr/whatisthisthing

Normally one would use the volume control on the AV amp if you're cascading bits of equipment this way, but it doesn't really matter.

As for multi-channel:

The latter generation of DVD players, and (I think) all Blu-Ray players use a single connection for their audio output - either an optical fibre (called Toslink) or a single RCA cable which carries the multi-channel audio as a digital data stream. Some PC sound cards also support this.

The multi-channel aspect is typically front left, front right, centre, rear left and rear right channels (and sometimes rear centre and upper rear left and right on real high-end stuff - I think it's DTS EX).

It's really intended mostly for the home-cinema application, but I think some computer games / consoles also support multi-channel (computer games aren't my thing).

If you want multiple sources at the same time, you're going to need a little sound mixer (and a bunch more cabling).

Something like this:

You'd plug your computer games unit / PC into one input, and the Beomaster 5500 into another input, and the output from the mixer goes off to the input on the AV amp. I'd imagine smaller and cheaper mixers are available (bigger ones certainly are - I look after two of these at work :

One of my former tennants used a similar mini mixer to do exactly what you describe, and seemed to get on just fine with it.

u/Hk0203 · 1 pointr/sonos

Sorry links didn't attach for some reason.

Rolls MX42 Stereo Mini Mixer

Current Home Theater:

u/Kaligraphic · 0 pointsr/audio

3.5mm and RCA are just connectors. You can easily convert back and forth with cheap cables.

Get one of these passive mixers: ($49)

And a couple 3.5mm to RCA cables like these: ($2.30) (You might find cheaper versions at your local dollar store.)