Best distribution wall plates & connectors according to redditors

We found 584 Reddit comments discussing the best distribution wall plates & connectors. We ranked the 225 resulting products by number of redditors who mentioned them. Here are the top 20.

Next page

Top Reddit comments about Distribution Wall Plates & Connectors:

u/pencilvester_C137 · 68 pointsr/malelivingspace

Power cords carry higher voltage than A/V cords (like HDMI cables). I'm not an electrical engineer or general contractor, but they emit enough heat that it is considered a fire hazard to run them inside residential walls due to lack of air flow. Additionally, it is not up to building code to run such cords within walls.

Instead, you need to either have an electrician properly install wall outlets as needed, or use a type of kit that allows for the TV's power cord to plug into an 'outlet' on the wall, then the kit's to-code cabling runs down and allows you to connect to an existing wall outlet.

Something like this:

As running power cords inside walls violates building code, if your house were to catch fire due to this it's possible your home owners insurance wouldn't pay out a dime.

u/thatdudebutch · 27 pointsr/battlestations

If you are looking to do this yourself you need a combination of the following:

u/brock_lee · 20 pointsr/whatisthisthing

Speaker wires, most likely

I have something similar behind my stereo, and remote speakers in the kitchen.

u/Servethebeam19 · 19 pointsr/DIY

I was under the impression that code for electrical wiring doesn't allow for tv power cables to be in the wall. You can actually purchase "power bridges" for this reason.

I only mention this as it is possible for the tv power cord to catch fire in the wall. Although I haven't personally seen this happen, I dont know of any professional av installers that would run the power wire in the wall this way. They would either have an outlet installed or use a power bridge.

u/rufioherpderp · 19 pointsr/woodworking

I used one of these for the super clean look. Pretty easy. Datacomm 50-3323-WH-KIT Flat Panel TV Cable Organizer Kit with Power Solution - White

u/CuckRhoades · 17 pointsr/malelivingspace

Hide that cord.

Datacomm Electronics 50-6623-WH-KIT Flat Panel TV Cable Organizer Kit with Power Solution

u/twoslow · 13 pointsr/HomeDecorating

find a space between the studs that doesn't have a firebreak. cut a hole in the drywall behind the TV, cut another hole under the wall unit. fish wires through.


u/masetheace64 · 13 pointsr/buildapcsales

Give me about an hour and I'll edit this comment with store links to what I got.

Edit: Here is the list

  1. Receiver/Amp This is very basic and will only support the bookshelf speakers themselves. If you want to add a sub or center, your going to need a full on stereo receiver. WARNING - when plugging in the banana plugs into this receiver, i had to force them in a bit to make them stay in. I thought I broke it, but my friend who recommended me this receiver said thats how his is too. so if the banana plugs go in weird, its ok :).

  2. Audio to RCA adapter. This is the wire to hook up to your PC. This could vary per setup. My setup goes from speakers to receiver, then receiver to PC with this cable. You could use RCA to optical cable as well. You have to make sure that if your PC is hooked up to your TV or monitor via HDMI to change the Audio input from hdmi to speakers.

  3. Speaker wire This is how you connect the speakers to the receiver. and the best way to do that is with banana plugs

  4. Bananna Plugs - Any kind will do and each banana plug hooks up to the wire differently. Some come with instructions, others you might have to google. I had to look at amazon reviews to see how mine worked.

    Total - about 40 - 50 depending on where you get your stuff.
u/homeboi808 · 13 pointsr/hometheater

Can use bare wire, but it's not the most secure/safe connection. Get open screw banana plugs and connect them with the port and your speaker wire (like so), can also be used on the receiver side. If you don't have a receiver, that's obviously where you need to start.

Is it just those two or are there others? If not, then it's just stereo.

(*See discussion below) The blue port is for a subwoofer, instead of RCA it uses a standard F-type coax cable (like for tv), so you need an F-type male to RCA female adaptor on the receiver end and the reverse wherever the subwoofer is/will go (unless there is an in-wall subwoofer already installed), as seen on the Amazon page, just buy the "Frequently Bought Together" bundle, you'd also need a female to male subwoofer cable.

u/brent20 · 12 pointsr/whatisthisthing

It’s one of those outlet relocation and cable pass through things you can buy at a hardware store to run cables in the wall for a mounted TV. People who are afraid of adding an outlet will use this to safely/legally (within code) run power from the TV. You would connect an extension cord to the prongs on the wall and plug it into an outlet. AV cables pass through on the right.

Edit: like this product: Datacomm 50-3323-WH-KIT Flat Panel TV Cable Organizer Kit with Power Solution - White

Honestly, I don’t understand why folks just don’t add an outlet up high above an existing one. It’s cheaper, cleaner, and just as easy to install as one of these things.

u/99e99 · 12 pointsr/HomeImprovement

studs are always spaced 16" or 24" apart unless the framer was evil. this means you should be able to find one stud to mount the TV. if you can get 2, all the better - it'll be rock solid. if only one, then use screw-type or toggle anchors. they'll be plenty strong.

i prefer the TV mounts you can angle down like this one so you get a better viewing angle from the couch. every TV mount i've purchased comes with all the mounting hardware, including lag bolts. if you're feeling extra handy, hide the wires using a kit like this.

u/sixtypercentcriminal · 10 pointsr/howto

Most of what lbstrange1 wrote is incorrect.

That is a 66 block. It is completely unnecessary unless you are planning on having multiple phone lines in your home. Pull off all of the wires and throw the 66 block away.

If you want to go the cheap route just crimp RJ45 male connectors onto the end of each cable. There are YouTube videos that will show you how to properly crimp them. Make sure you are using 568B configuration.

If you want to make it look nice buy one of these:

Use the previously mentioned punch down tool to terminate the wires. DO NOT strip the wires first. Make sure you punch it down as 568B.

I'm willing to bet that your home builder's contractor installed RJ11 phone jacks throughout your home. If so you'll need these:

Install them at each wall jack location using 568B configuration.

Finally, you'll need a switch as was previously stated. However it does not connect directly to your modem. You need to connect it to your router.

u/XxRUDYTUDYxX · 8 pointsr/BudgetAudiophile

Wire conduit. If you have an attic you can access running cable through the wall and up into the attic then back down the other side to rear speakers is easy enough with fish tape/poles, a drill, and a drywall saw. Use a gang ring and wall plate to cover the entry and exit holes of the wires.

With no attic you have to run the wire through the wall itself all the way to the rear speakers which is a pain in the ass because you have to drill through every stud. I definitely do not recommend that route. If all else fails with the wife forgo the rear speakers entirely and just get a REALLY nice 3.1 setup. Don't underestimate how good those can be.

u/Plasmaguys · 8 pointsr/DIY

Buy this kit or similar (They have similar kits at Home depot and Sams Club) and you do not have to splice into the existing wiring of your house. You should only let a licensed electrician, handyman or someone with basic electrical skills tap into your current electrical system.

I hope that helps.

u/glenwood · 7 pointsr/HomeImprovement

FYI: Low voltage not required to be in conduit in Chicago. A friend of mine is an electrician in Chicago. Rest of electrical needs conduit that is true.
I have run coax cable, Ethernet, speaker wire and phone lines in my house through walls without conduit. Just make sure the wire you use is riser rated if passing from floor to floor or In-wall rated if keeping on same floor. Plenum rated if running via heavy ducts/returns. I have generally used riser rated for all my in-wall applications.
Don’t run an electrical cord from a tv or extension cord in the wall. You always use something like this: Datacomm Electronics 50-3323-WH-KIT Flat Panel TV Cable Organizer Kit with Power Solution - White

u/strallweat · 7 pointsr/DIY

I used something like this.
It might not have enough outlets for OP, but he might be able to use something like this or this at the top part.

u/Maximus5684 · 6 pointsr/DIY

I was going to suggest he buy one of these and these but further down he said it's a cement wall so I would suggest some of these instead. Takes a little more time than just using Velcro ties but looks much better when finished IMO.

Edit: Also, don't EVER buy stuff from Amazon that is originally from Monoprice. $18.47 for something that Monoprice charges $8.58 for? Fuck off.

u/umdivx · 6 pointsr/hometheater

> which included adding an extra outlet behind the tv for whatever reason.

Because you can't legally run a power cord/extension cord through a wall. Can only be romex power cord.

So if you want a "clean" install you have to basically add a new outlet behind the TV.


They make kits like these that does the same thing

u/DeliriousDreams01 · 6 pointsr/HomeDecorating

You could also buy a longer cord, route the cord horizontally to the door frame and the down along it and then back over to the outlet. You could also buy a kit that would allow you to do the cable through the wall. Like this:

u/DeltaVelocity · 6 pointsr/battlestations

I cut holes for these plates. Then just used a cable snake to pull the cords through.

Cut this cable raceway to size and tucked it up under the desk to run the power, display port, and keyboard cords.

u/Vallywog · 5 pointsr/amazonecho

I have been looking at some wall mounting possibilities as well for my dot. I dont have a plug in a good place for power so I am thinking about something like this to route the cable to a power source.

u/chris113113 · 5 pointsr/buildapc

Personally, I routed my computer wiring through the wall into the next room. This way only the monitor heat stays in my gaming room.

I grabbed two of these and just routed it through.

u/blacketj · 4 pointsr/buildapc

One option is to just punch a hole in the wall, you can fancy it up with a couple wall plates.

You can run an USB and HDMI cable through there. If it is a long HDMI run you may need to invest in an "active" cable to avoid signal degradation.

u/freespace303 · 4 pointsr/malelivingspace

Came here to say that, cable channels are da bomb, next level up is these things if you are allowed. Easy to install, run the cables down behind the wall and out the other side, totally hidden. Really nice clean look

Also, I totally lol'd at "speel"

u/d70 · 4 pointsr/RoomPorn

Came here to say this. Something like this is super easy and it's $50. I guess 80% of the budget went to the chair. :p

u/thedolly_mama · 4 pointsr/whatisthisthing

It’s for cable wires

u/whatdidshedo · 4 pointsr/BudgetAudiophile

I think those speaker stands you can do better for like 10 bucks more.
Now when it comes to AVR there is better option with really good discount like yours MSRP 300 the one bellow MSRP 550 and only like 40 bucks more with plenty of features and definitely a step up is Yamaha TSR 5810 it's only $209 and much better than that entry level receiver you picked.
Has even Atmos in and all the goodies in case you expand later.

Speaker wire is fine but for neater connection maybe add for 7 bucks banana plugs

u/jacanuck · 4 pointsr/hometheater

Looking sharp, lets get those wires hidden between your TV and tv stand.

I used the following to properly hide power and low voltage a/v cables:

(don't hide the TV's power cord inside of your wall, it's not rated properly, either put an actual outlet or use something like I've linked).

There are more options than that available, I used that one because at the time it was most inexpensive on Amazon in Canada.

u/spinner8 · 4 pointsr/DIY

TV power cords are not rated for in wall runs. If your gonna cheat, at least get a heavy duty extension cord off Amazon and run that through instead. Or spend 14$ on a proper item.

Bryant Electric RR1512W 2-Gang Recessed TV Connection Outlet Plate with 15 Amp 125V Tamper-Resistant Duplex Receptacle with One Pass-Thru Opening, White

Or the cheat method.
Fellowes 1-Outlet 3-Prong Heavy Duty Indoor Extension Cord, 9 Feet - 99595

If your splice is actually going through the wall, another no-no.. if you are going to take on DIY projects, have the satisfaction of a job well done when it is done properly. Avoid short cuts.

u/Lawlessninja · 4 pointsr/CableManagement
u/hyrumwhite · 4 pointsr/pcmasterrace

For the op, if you want to do this, get a punch saw, a couple low voltage mounts, and some cable pass through plates:

Trace the front (the wide part) of the low voltage mount on the wall, use the punch saw to cut about a quarter inch inside the trace and then screw in the mount. Put one mount behind the pc (won't need the pass through plate that way) and the other about 5 inches above your trim (or match other outlets). Make sure both are on the same side of the closest stud.

As long as you don't have fire blocks, it should be pretty easy. If you do, I'd say just get some of these unless you want to deal with plastering and drilling holes and stuff. Not worth it, imo.

Unless, of course, you're in an apartment and aren't allowed to mutilate your walls.

u/HugheJass · 3 pointsr/DIY

And run more than one wire. Maybe run 2-4 ethernet cables from one side of the house to the other. If you have your router or switch by your cable modem, then you won't need to manage those at the end with your TV and other devices.

Maybe put one of these by your devices for a clean connection.

u/RJ61x · 3 pointsr/telecom

Ok. So, it looks like you are currently wired for phones. It looks like Cat5, but without reading the writing on the sheath, I can't know for sure. If it is, you are in luck and will be able to get hard wired data in each room.
It looks like there are 5 cables coming into the closet. This should mean that 5 rooms have wall jacks like the one pictured in the first picture, correct?

It also looks like you have an alarm system? It looks like there is some kind of access control or alarm panel that the phone line is connected too. Disclaimer: Disconnecting anything may render other low voltage systems inoperable. If you do not own the building, check with the owner to make sure nothing will be disturbed. Also, use common sense and exercise appropriate safety precautions. Also be sure to follow your local government's building and electrical codes where applicable.

What you will need (assuming 5 rooms)

  • 5 RJ45 connectors.

  • 5 RJ45 wall jacks with faceplate

  • modem

  • 8 port ethernet switch

  • a three foot Cat5 patch cable

  • punch down tool for jack termination (many jacks come with a little tool you can use)

  • crimper tool for the connectors

  • wire cutters/ strippers

    First, start inside your closet panel. Separate the 5 Cat5 cables (blue). Terminate each one with an RJ45 connector.
    See this for detailed info on how to do so.

    If the modem is not already installed, it can be, right inside your closet panel there with one of the white coax cables on the right (broadband.. not sure what to tell you about DSL). Have the ISP tech hook it up because I am not sure what is happening with all of those splitters and/ or filters on the coax. (If you are nice, they may punch down and terminate the Cat5 for you if you have the rest of the parts.)
    Using a patch cable, connect the modem to a nice Ethernet switch.
    Then, plug in each of the newly terminated RJ45s into each port of the switch. There will be empty ports. I always like to leave room for future expansion.
    Alternatively, if your modem has a built in switch (most modems are modem, switch, wifi router combos these days), you can use as many ports int the back of the modem as you can. You may need to get a separate switch and daisy chain it from the modem depending on how may ports the modem has.

    Then, go to each room and terminate a wall jack on each of the Cat5's coming up through the wall.

    Power up and test. Should be pretty straightforward pending any unfortunate happenings.

    Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
u/justin_144 · 3 pointsr/hometheater

I would probably grab something like this. Yes, the pin type banana plugs are what I would recommend, but I have a speaker selector from monoproce and it didn't fit the pins, which I though was strange.

u/TheRealGunn · 3 pointsr/LifeProTips

A couple of these and a dry wall saw.

DataComm 45-0001-WH 1-Gang Recessed Low Voltage Cable Plate (White)

u/bonestamp · 3 pointsr/battlestations

Assuming it's mounted to an inside wall, it's probably not insulated, meaning it's extremely easy to feed the wires inside the wall.

Using a keyhole saw, cut a small hole behind the monitor. I suggest using a stud finder with A/C detection to make sure you're not cutting into a stud or wires. Then cut another hole somewhere directly below that hole and just run the wires in one and out the other. It's super easy. You can get nice bezels to make the holes look pretty too:

keyhole saw

stud finder


u/wgharv · 3 pointsr/howto

Another use posted this

I haven't looked to see if it is in accordance with the national electric code, but if it is, it would make the job a lot easier

u/ack154 · 3 pointsr/HomeImprovement

This is what I use... keeps within code and all that too.

u/[deleted] · 3 pointsr/HomeImprovement

I work with these types of cables all the time in extreme conditions. You can ask 10 experts and get 10 different suggestions. All of them are right, and all are wrong. (Flame me now). Some will preach standards, others will use crap cables (some will get lucky enough that they work).

As you aren't telling us your use, I can only assume a display feed w/ audio and an IR receiver. You're trying to extend your home theater into your bedroom? On the cheap?

It will likely work because you aren't demanding much from the cables. True file transfers would likely have intermittent issues. Active bidirectional communications would fail. But IR signal blips would be okay, because even if it doesn't work, you'll just hit the button again.

I've got about 100 different amazon basic cables, I've only had one bad one.


USB Extention:

I don't have personal experience with either of the cables, but the reviews are good.

Then just clean it up with some basic wall plate openings. Don't get fancy with termination plates, you're adding loss and at this distance that could be bad. (see, I just gave my right/wrong advice)

u/portezbie · 3 pointsr/hometheater

Hi, I actually had the exact same dilemma as you and about a month ago went for a 2.0 setup.

In the past I've tried a variety of computer speakers and nothing cut it. I never tried a soundbar, but I am super happy with my 2.0 setup.

So here is my $200 set up (big thanks to Zeos for helping me learn and pick out the parts):

$109 manufacturer refurbished Denon AVR 1513 receiver:!specifications

$80 Micca MB42x bookshelf speakers:

$9.43 Speaker wire:

This is the wire stripper I bought but it is no longer available for prime so I would get a different one:

Maybe get this one (but any will probably be fine):

Lastly, banana plugs for the wires. Optional, but nice to have ($10.96):

Total: ~ $250 with tax and shipping and whatnot.

One last piece of advice:

I originally tried the popular Lepai amp and hated it. I just couldn't get the volume I wanted from it.

u/MMfuryroad · 3 pointsr/hometheater

Here's a basic home theater accessories list and a how to video for connecting speaker wire to screw type banana plugs. You'll need 2 pairs of banana plugs per front soundstage speaker hookup (1 pair for each end.) Alternatively you can just remove a small amount of shielding from the speaker wire and twist the copper strands then insert them into their corresponding(+-) binding post or spring clip.

Subwoofer cable

[ Monoprice 16 AWG copper speaker wire 50 ft.]

Monoprice Certified Premium HDMI cables

Monoprice screw type banana plugs

connecting banana plugs video

More in depth speaker wire stripping and installing video

Subwoofer crawl technique

u/txspoon · 3 pointsr/Whatisthis

Should also take banana plugs if you have those type of cables instead of bare wire right into the hole.

u/explosivo563 · 3 pointsr/audio

Strange? You mean the speaker inputs? That's for speaker cable. Banana plugs are optional.

u/Kanchi555 · 3 pointsr/hometheater

Trim it up if you want. I have been very pleaed with my investment in banana plugs, in your case it would only be at the speaker end. You put them on the wire then can then just plug them into the speaker.

u/SmittyJonz · 3 pointsr/BudgetAudiophile

🤪 you run wire in from the end.......


unscrew the bottom part , put wire thu bottom piece, fan out and fold the wire strands downwards around it, screw back together, wire strands are caught between the 2 pieces ......

watch this:

u/elichondo · 3 pointsr/pcgaming

> My folks doesnt want me punching holes in their newly built house.

If you get AT&T and they have to bring a new line inside the house, they'll have to drill whatever holes they need AND you would need to run an Ethernet cable from the AT&T modem into the attic, and then into the wall into your room and you'd have to cut a hole into the wall and patch the cable in, well if you want ethernet. I had to do something similar for a friend's apartment and put one of these in the wall:

OR you can buy some powerline adapters and see if that works to bring internet to your room. Like this:

Running ethernet cables in the attic is much easier in a 1 story house, you just have to watch your footing and only step on the rafters, otherwise you'll fall through the ceiling. If you're in a 2 story house then good luck, not happening.

Powerline adapters are probably your best bet.

u/ryani · 3 pointsr/buildmeapc

Most ethernet networks have range of 100m without requiring a repeater or switch. That's a LONG WAY and almost certainly further than the location of your hub from your room.

Here is a really long ethernet cable for $30. I'd recommend actually measuring the distance and planning it with your parents.

In my house I ran cables from the attic down into the walls by the hub and in each room. You can either have the cables stick right out of the wall, or if you want to be nicer about it, cut open the cable and wire them into a wall plate, patching them into your PC with a short cable. Here is a howto video. In the video he has a cable TV jack right next to it, and if you have something like that you don't even need to cut a new hole in the wall; you can just use a dual plate like this one.

u/jump-back-like-33 · 3 pointsr/malelivingspace

Do you own? I ran cables into a wall plate like this. Then down through the crawlspace (though attic would work too depending on the level of home) and out a similar outlet in another room.

Probably not something to do if renting though..

u/HelloWorld5609 · 3 pointsr/HomeDecorating

Feeding a power cord through the wall like that is likely an electrical code violation (US code for sure, but depends on the country). You would need to add another outlet behind the TV (extend the bottom outlet) which is the best long term solution, or you could pick up a kit like this. But this kinda looks like an apartment, so that would kinda make these suggestions useless.

u/e60deluxe · 3 pointsr/hometheater

the only thing you actually need a recessed outlet for the power. for the hdmi cable, or even several cables, a flush mounted brush plate will work just as well as a recessed one, even for the thinnest tv mounts you can buy.

that being said, your HDMI and your electrical may be coming out of the same location, so if your going to go double gang, might as well.

u/bskinnyyy · 3 pointsr/battlestations

Something like this.

Have one hole behind the moitor in place that no matter how high or low i move the mount it's not seen. The other hole is right behind my desk. If you see the split towards the top that is where all the cables are. So there is only the one coming out of there going into the wall power.

u/konohasaiyajin · 2 pointsr/googlefiber

I'm not sure how much a place would charge for this. If you feel capable of running a line inside the wall you could do it yourself. You would need:

The wall jacks. Something like this:

A punchdown tool, like this:

Then you get like 100ft cable or however long you need, fish it through the wall, plug one end in the router, and cut off the other end and punch it down into the jack.

edit: there are some photos on this guys walkthrough:

u/bbsittrr · 2 pointsr/HomeNetworking

>My question is; is the wall hollow in between the boxes?

Almost certainly yes.

> Would this be something that the technician would possibly be willing to do for me?

Most likely no, he/she probably won't have the tools and parts.

Just replace the cover? They are usually standard.

There are a zillion versions of this

u/killfluffy · 2 pointsr/HomeImprovement

I would likely use either 2x4 or 2x6 instead of 2x10.

  • Drill pilot holes in those braces that you will drive the lag bolts through into the studs

  • Finish the 2x4 or 2x6 you use before mounting it to the wall. When faced with this, I actually used a piece of 1" good quality plywood that I sanded down, routed the edges nicely, primed, and painted before sticking on the wall. Whatever you wind up using, make it look good even if you think you're never going to see it.

  • Buy these and install them before hanging the tv on the wall. Read the instructions thoroughly.

  • Buy these and stick them into the other things. Read the instructions thoroughly.

  • You can get brackets that attach to the back of the tv mount that hide things like cable boxes, set top boxes, etc. We have Google Wifi hubs mounted behind our two wall mounted tv's to free up space on the surfaces the stands one stood on. They make brackets for everything, including generic brackets and even specific ones for like Nvidia Shield Console.

  • Check cable length. If snaking cables through the wall, you may need to get longer HDMI cables.

    Some Links



u/quiero_creer · 2 pointsr/HomeImprovement

Dunno where you live but an electrician should be able to wire and install one of these as well as one of these on an adjacent wall for about $200.

u/Inndee · 2 pointsr/pcmasterrace

Cut out two holes in my wall and mounted these plates

Ran the wires behind the wall.

u/sk9592 · 2 pointsr/hometheater

When I wall mounted my TV, I used one of these recessed wall plate to pass the power and HDMI cable through the wall to the TV:

The cables can be positioned at any angle, so they don't stick out at far. Actually, if you look at a female HDMI wall plate, the cable is sticking out straight out of the wall and harder to hide behind a mounted TV.

Honestly, I don't see the benefit of a HDMI wall plate over a cable passthrough plate. Either way, you have a HDMI cable and power cable running from the wall to the TV. One isn't "cleaner" than the other.

If you want a power outlet instead of just the cord for some reason, this is also an option:

u/pixelprophet · 2 pointsr/InteriorDesign

If that is the case then I would consider purchasing a number of the in-wall cable management gangs and running the wires though the walls as close to their intended location.

Also, since you already have power running there, you can look for this type of in wall management system, and simply widen the existing holes.

u/MizzouRah · 2 pointsr/HomeImprovement

Totally agree -- going for these

I don't trust the pass-through capability of the HDMI couplers for differing HDMI standards.

u/cannonimal · 2 pointsr/MLBTheShow

If you are allowed to drill holes (I see the TV is mounted), you really should do something like this:

Datacomm Electronics 50-3323-WH-KIT Flat Panel TV Cable Organizer Kit with Power Solution - White

u/super_not_clever · 2 pointsr/hometheater

Yup, you cut a pair of holes in the wall. If you want to throw money at the problem, you can install something like this to get both power and a spot for cabling up there. Or if you're handy, you can install your own outlet and just get some brush plates for your HDMI etc.

u/wlpaul4 · 2 pointsr/watercooling

Amazing work man!

If you own your own place (or don't care about large holes in the wall) might I suggest one of these.

Really makes a huge difference in how clean something looks.

u/arnoldstrife · 2 pointsr/DIY

I would highly recommend just getting something like this, It's not really that much extra effort. you run the wires like you already did, but you use a solid wire rated for in-wall inside the wall.


Exactly what might happen if you just use a normal extension cable in the wall. I'm not sure besides potential fire hazard (extension cables do heat up as you run current through it, normal it dissipates it just because it's lying around. Being insulated within the wall sounds like a potentially bad idea).

u/alitanveer · 2 pointsr/battlestations

Really cool looking setup. Just want to point out a few things.

  1. The power cord for the monitors is not rated for in-wall use and is against code. You should get one of these.

  2. You're putting a lot of stress on the glass with that clamp holding up four monitors. It may look thick and secure, but it will shatter on you one day and break all four monitors when they fall down. Get a thin piece of wood and run it underneath your table along the back edge. Secure the clamp onto that piece of wood rather than directly against the glass. Home Depot, or any other home improvement store, will have really good looking appearance boards. Get a 1x4 cut to the length of the table right at the store and attach it to the bottom of the glass using contact cement. The clamp will keep it in place and distribute the load much more evenly.
u/germanplumber · 2 pointsr/DIY
u/oxjox · 2 pointsr/InteriorDesign

Umm, actual professional AV Installer here.

  1. Customers hate being told they have bad ideas.
  2. People will think this person is nuts if they don't put the tv over the fireplace plus it's kind of a small area so, yeah, the tv's going over the fireplace.
  3. There's a ton of room behind the top of the fireplace opening because the entire FP unit itself if made of metal and placed in to the framed out wall. The key is what's below you, is it open or finished basement? I'm assuming open or drop ceiling.
  4. What you want to do is get your cables (including romex) down the inside of the wall just to the side of the fireplace. It looks like about 6 inches wide there. There's an decent amount of wood so you can cut a 1 1/2 inch hole through the floor (inside the wall!). It looks like the right side will have the gas feed, you'll know this by the chrome key plate on the wall, so use the other side for your cables just to be on the safe side.
  5. Depending on the tv bracket you get (and the weight of your tv), you may need to secure a sheet of plywood to the wall first. Better yet, I would cut out a good amount of sheet rock (2x4ft) so you can stick your whole head and shoulders in the wall to see where your cables are going. Then just cover that hole up with the plywood.
  6. I'd go with a small cabinet just below those windows there to hold your cable box, xbox, av gear, etc. It looks like there's already a cable outlet there so when you're in the basement you'll want to come up right along side that with all your cables. Bring your romex up along there too but in a different stud cavity. You want to keep a minimum of 6 inches of space between high voltage and low voltage and if they have to cross be sure it's at 90 degrees.
  7. Buy this or something like it to extend the electric. This will pass NEC code. Extension cords are not allowed inside the walls. Plug it in to the wall under those windows or better yet get a good surge protector.
  8. Sorry, just realized this is a 2month old post. How did it go?! haha
u/zim2411 · 2 pointsr/hometheater

> Micca M-8C

IMO, if you're going to go through the trouble of paying an electrician to run wires, and cut holes in your ceiling, don't skimp on the actual product. Those barely even have a proper crossover. I'd at least step up to the Micca Reference series though I haven't heard those in person. Of the speakers I have demo'd in person, I found Def Tech's speakers to be fairly good, and IMO sounded better than speakers 3x their price.

> 2) [...] Or is there a better solution (like a wooden box or something)?

Officially, you'll want a backer box like this. If your electrician was just suggesting a sheet of plastic, definitely don't do that.

> 4) Since the receiver is on the main floor and the speakers are on the 2nd floor, the electrician also said I can get a volume control switch that he can install on the 2nd floor. Are there any you recommend?

If you just want basic volume control, something like this is fine.

u/The_Shamemaker · 2 pointsr/hometheater

FYI: Don't run the power cable through the wall unless you want to possibly invalidate your homeowners insurance. Make sure you get something like this.

u/Franke123 · 2 pointsr/HomeNetworking

Okay so heres my new plans for the design:

250FT Stranded UTP Cat6 - $45

Cat6 Connectors for UTP Stranded - $11

12 Port Vertical Mini Patch Panel for Cat6 - $20

8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch - $29

10 Pack Wall Plate 2-Port Keystone Jack - $10

10 Pack Keystone Jack Cat6 - $14

Total: $129, but previously $131 (100ft cat6 + connectors + wall jacks) and this does much more. Would that be good?

u/rabidfurby · 2 pointsr/HomeNetworking

I think they meant something like this:

"Keystone patch panel" is the search term you want. And don't buy your keystone jacks individually, buy them in bulk. They'll be much cheaper:

If you look throughout your house where the ethernet ports are, there's a good chance they're also keystone jacks. Picture these, with those keystone jacks slotted in to them:

Also, if you've never used it before, is your new best friend. I'd recommend always comparing prices between them and Amazon before buying something.

u/riskable · 2 pointsr/3Dprinting

I plugged in the price of eSun White PETG ($25) into Slic3r and re-sliced two wall plates. It says $1.10. So that's $0.55/wall plate.

Amazon is currently selling a 2-pack of white keystone wall plates from Monoprice for $5.48 ($2.74/wall plate):

That's Monoprice though. If you need more than 2 you can get a 10-pack from Cable Matters for $9.99 (~$1/wall plate):

Even with the best deal it's still like half price! I honestly wasn't really concerned with the price (GOOGLY EYES!) but it's good to know it's cheaper.

u/darthgarlic · 2 pointsr/HomeNetworking

Do you live anywhere near Phoenix?

If not they are not difficult. The ends are just keystone Cat(x) jacks that go into a wall plate.

You might borrow or buy a punch tool to make the connection.

u/GrGoethals · 2 pointsr/audiophile

So you can see the row or red and black connectors on the back of the receiver, those are labeled for the available speaker locations. Standard speaker wire can be used on those as it kinda threads through then screws down tight (banana plug connectors can also be used if purchased). The backs of the speakers have a matching red and black connection that the wire screws into as well. So each speaker will have one red and one black connection.

In my case with this specific setup I am using the amplifier in a bi-amp configuration where I am utilizing the 'Front A' connections for left and right as well as the 'bi-amp' connections. The Klipsch speakers have 2 red and 2 black plugs on the back of them for this purpose. When Bi-amp'ed the speakers are able to use the extra power that another channel may use to give more clarity and over volume.

u/Sir0bin · 2 pointsr/hometheater

Yup, that subwoofer cable will work.


You can just buy a spool of speaker wire (like this) and that’s all you’ll need, although I recommend getting some banana plugs just to make it easier to unplug stuff if needed, but up to you.

u/johnrose81 · 2 pointsr/NewToVinyl

Get some banana plugs from Best buy. Easy to put the wire in them. Then just plug the banana cables into those holes. I got these. Work great!

u/dirty_dills · 2 pointsr/hometheater

There is also the closed-screw type, but I found them a little more difficult to install and the wire sticks out of the back, so it can make it more difficult to push the receiver closer to the wall.

u/dsmdylan · 2 pointsr/hometheater

So, toning them out has been thoroughly answered but to answer how you connect your AVR to this, make some short speaker wires with banana plugs on each end to jump between the wall plate and the AVR.

u/polypeptide147 · 2 pointsr/BudgetAudiophile

The micca speakers can use banana plugs or can just have the speaker wire put in them. They unscrew and there is a hole that you can put the wire through. Those are the banana plugs I use and they are great.

Also, this is more or less how it would work. That is with a DAC included. If you don't get a DAC, instead of 'computer usb' into the DAC, it will be a 3.5mm into the amp.

Hope this helps!

u/John2Nhoj · 2 pointsr/audio

Those aren't RCA type inputs on those speakers. They for either banana plugs or bare wire connection. You can cut the RCA jacks off of your speaker wires, then strip the ends down to bare wire..

You have to unscrew the red and black caps and insert the wires in the holes in the sides of the posts and then screw the caps back down to secure the wires.

Either that or you can buy banana plugs and connect those to the end of the wires. Then you just plug them into the holes in the center of the posts.

u/y0y0ma · 2 pointsr/BudgetAudiophile

You have already mentioned that size is a factor. In that case, I can recommend Denon SC-F109, which are almost the same size and about £10 more. Tried, tested and impressed. Never heard the QAcoustics so cannot say anything, but the Denon has a lot of fans in Germany apart from me.

Both of your amps are good enough for desktop use. Get the SA 50 if you also plan on using it for a small party.

The wire seems a bit expensive to me. For that price you could get 100 feet of speaker cable and banana plugs and attach them yourself. All you need is a wire stripper or a pocket knife. In fact, I don't even use banana plugs; they are only convenient if you plan to connect/disconnect speakers often. 12 AWG would be too thick for your purpose, 16 AWG (or even 18) is good enough. You could also save some money by buying per meter (or feet as you're in the UK!) from some sellers or check your local classifieds to see if someone wants to get rid of their extra speaker cable. Also, I can vouch for this 3.5mm to RCA cable. These are a little more expensive, but very well made and don't usually suffer from contact issues.

PS: Just wanted to add some more information about speaker dimensions. H x W x D mm

  • Denon SC-F109 - 245 x 165 x 234

  • Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 - 236 x 145 x 165

  • Q Acoustics 2010i - 235 x 150 x 203

    So the Wharfedales really are the smallest of the lot, and the Denons the biggest but only in depth.
u/OriginalUzername · 2 pointsr/ZReviews
u/burpfartingsly · 2 pointsr/turntables

Try banana plugs for a more secure connection.

Monoprice 109436 Gold Plated...

u/oddsnsodds · 2 pointsr/audiophile

The owner's manual can be downloaded as a pdf from Denon's website. I'd do that to start.

You'll want an audio cable to connect the CD changer:

Speaker wire (recommended in the thread post):

And maybe banana plugs to connect the speaker wires. They aren't required but they make connecting stuff a lot easier:

Are you hooking up any other equipment?

u/EL_LUKEO · 2 pointsr/hometheater

Yeah great choice.

As far as cables, it really depends on how you have it set up.

The ideal scenario would be (for me at least):

  • All video sources into back of receiver with HDMI cables (premium high-speed if it's a 4K source)

  • One HDMI cable from receiver to HDMI 2 in TV (that's the ARC one). This allows you to use the TV apps (Netflix, Amazon, etc) to take advantage of the sweet, sweet Dolby Vision.

  • Speaker wiring. Depends on how you want to wire it. I did in wall wiring so I used CL2 rated wire for the in-wall runs which terminated at a banana plug wall plate behind the receiver and a banana clip wall plate behind F/L and F/R. Then I used clear 14 AWG speaker wire from the wallplates to the receiver and speakers. I went straight from the receiver to the center channel (which you don't have yet). I also pre-wired for surrounds and Atmos but haven't gotten the components (Atmos at least) yet.

  • Speaker wire termination.
    The speakers and receiver have the ability to connect to bare speaker wire but I went the route of using these banana clips for a cleaner look.

    Really it all depends on your set-up I guess. I can post some pics of mine to help clarify stuff as well.
u/dcarcher · 2 pointsr/BudgetAudiophile

I'll be honest, I haven't had time to really do an A/B test on them, and my schedule hasn't afforded me a lengthy listening session, but I am much more confident in these new cables.

I had previously been using this wire! with these banana plugs. They did the job, and I will continue to use those cables when testing equipment for functionality or if I do a temporary setup for a friend or something.

The new wire is 12 AWG single-conductor. I had considered doing 14 AWG dual-conductor (honestly just for looks), but I decided to go with the cheaper option. I may upload some pics at a later date as my setup has changed and moved around quite a bit since my first setup post.

u/_shadow_banned_ · 2 pointsr/BudgetAudiophile

Which solder on plugs do you use? Did you need a high wattage iron to heat it?

I use these plugs

u/wisaaka · 2 pointsr/HomeImprovement

I just did a quick and dirty install of wired internet. I didn't really have a great option for a central location to set up my modem and router. What I ended up doing was keeping my router and modem in a bedroom I use as a home office.

I took each wall outlet for my coaxial cable and replaced them with ethernet/coax combo outlets to keep from needing to add extra outlet covers/boxes in the walls. The exception was at my router. I used a 4-port outlet like this in that room.

From there, I used my attic (and the help of my brother-in-law) to fish the ethernet cables down the walls in each room I wanted to wire (living room, master bedroom, guest bedroom), then each of those to the home office to connect to the 4-port outlet. Once I connected the outlets in each room, I labeled the ports in the office for convenience and plugged cables into the router for each room.

As far as the hardware, I have a Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem since I'm currently stuck with Comcast. I use a Netgear router with a USB port for connecting a hard drive.

My primary reason for setting all this up was to be able to access the full bandwidth of my internet connection and not need to be concerned with any wireless interference (granted, I probably wouldn't notice where I live). I also like the idea of minimal buffering with my home media server setup to multiple devices. I have a couple of gaming consoles and a PC all wired and I enjoy not dealing with wireless except on tablets, phones, or laptops.

u/cpostier · 2 pointsr/DIY

I guess I could get something like this, and cover the whole outlet with the Intercom, technically that would meet code right?

u/aftli · 2 pointsr/techsupport

Oh. Sounds like you just need a longer cable. Those are plentiful and available cheap. You just need to get a high speed one. If the "through the wall" bit is the part troubling you, they sell pass-through wall plates that are really easy to install. But it doesn't sound like you need anything special at all.

u/Vlad_the_Homeowner · 2 pointsr/homeowners

Get low voltage old work brackets like this:


Trace a rectangle on the wall and cut out with a drywall saw. Pretty easy to keep within the trim on the bracket, but the wall plate will cover more as well. From there, it's up to you. You could get a normal wall blank and drill a hole in it to run a wire through. You could get something like these that allow an assortment of wires to come through:

Or you could do it proper and get an ethernet wall plate like this:

Or decora style like this:

For just a single outlet they're a bit overpriced. But if you have multiple you can get something called a keystone plate and it allows you to put any assortment of low voltage connections in.


u/samdeed · 2 pointsr/hometheater

That's really cool.

You should get a couple of these brush wall plates. Put one behind it, other one near the floor, then run that wire through so it's hidden.

u/FantasticAlps · 2 pointsr/malelivingspace

I’m not sure why you or OP might think external cord concealment would be faster or easier. The in-wall channel takes less than 10 minutes to complete.

External cable concealment does not blend in. Its a plastic channel you’ve painted to match the wall but, it’s still a plastic channel mounted in the wall.

OP, look at this:

There are a lot of similar products on amazon including some that can integrate a standard outlet.

u/sbellotti84 · 2 pointsr/HomeImprovement

Didn’t know they. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll check the link out too.

So this Would be a better option?

Echogear in Wall Power Kit Includes Low Voltage Cable Management - Hide TV Wires When Mounting A TV - Includes Hole Saw Drill Attachment for Easy Install

u/tunnelpumper · 2 pointsr/4kTV

Need this

Echogear in Wall Power Kit Includes Low Voltage Cable Management - Hide TV Wires When Mounting A TV - Includes Hole Saw Drill Attachment for Easy Install

u/Fr0hikeTravel · 2 pointsr/OLED

You can't tell but I'm using Echogear's cable and power management. It works like the product you linked, but the Echogear one has a smaller footprint.

u/killerb255 · 1 pointr/techsupport

You'll need a long Ethernet cable. Run it all the way upstairs.

You can get fancy and run it through the walls, and then install Ethernet jacks in your walls--something like this, but with a single port if you prefer.

In other words:

Upstairs desktop ---- CAT5 cable ------ Ethernet wall jack upstairs ----- CAT5 cable terminated at (attached to the back of) the upstairs wall jack going through walls from upstairs to downstairs, then terminated at downstairs wall jack ------ CAT5 cable terminated at downstairs wall jack ----- Downstairs Ethernet wall jack ------ CAT5 cable ------ modem.

EDIT: Per what /u/tsdguy pointed out, use CAT5e or better, not just CAT5. CAT5 is not rated for anything higher than 100 Mbps. CAT5e can handle 1 Gbps up to 100 Meters.

u/youareahomo · 1 pointr/electricians

I did something similar in the house I recently bought. My house wasn't cable ready. I used gem boxes in the walls to make it simple and clean. After I cut the drywall for the gem box, I used a 1/2" paddle bit with and extension to drill through the floor inside the wall. My home is ranch style with a basement so this made the job very easy.

Here is what a gem box is.

You simply put the face of the box against the wall, trace around it with a pencil,cut the drywall and use Madison clips to fasten it inside the wall. After you pull the cable, you can get a trim cover like this.

u/prutseratwork · 1 pointr/techsupport Would be the correct way to terminate wiring in a room.

u/Bhaikalis · 1 pointr/HomeNetworking

what? doesn't the walljack look like this on both ends of that run?

u/Umlautica · 1 pointr/audiophile

For the wall, I'd recommend a brush plate or cable plate.

u/bryanr29 · 1 pointr/battlestations

What I did was get a kitchen knife and cut a small square out of the dry wall behind the monitor and desk. I used this to make it look nicer ( after that I just ran the cable through. Took about 15 min to do.

u/fatbottomedgirls · 1 pointr/gaming

There are tons of inexpensive options for running wires in the wall.

I simply tapped off an outlet below my TV to add a recessed outlet directly behind the TV. I then used a couple of these--one behind the TV and one closer to the floor--to run the low voltage cables.

Here are a couple other relatively inexpensive solutions that don't even require you to know how to do any electrical work:

u/captain_bowlton · 1 pointr/DIY

If you already need to call an electrician to run an outlet, just ask them to make another hole for your A/V cables. If you are lucky they might do it for free. Will the cables just need to go from behind the unit down to the shelf that will hold the Apple TV?

I would ask the electrician to cut some extra holes for you, and you could tidy them up with something like this:

You would mount them to something like this:

I just got done mounting and installing a bunch of TVs and A/V cables for some of our branch offices, and that is pretty much what we did. The passthrough will easily allow the large tips of the cables through.

Of course you could also use a drywall saw and a cable fisher and do it yourself. If in doubt, call an electrician. Good luck!

u/Kanaloa · 1 pointr/HomeNetworking

> Are wires supposed to run up to the TV from the thing lower down?

>Should I put in a piece of plastic pipe to make an easy conduit up to the tv now, while I can still get behind there easily?

No need for that.

>What is that wire up top?

As others have said, it looks like speaker wire. Probably don't need it.

I would get one of these for the top orange box., and replace the "speaker" cable with a 10' or 12' cat 5e cable. Plug the cable into the port at the bottom, run it through the wall, and plug it into the TV.

Are you getting all your source material from the network? Do you plan on having cable? Antenna? Xbox? Anything else on this TV? While you're at it, you might want to run some HDMI cables and a COAX cable along with your network cable.

u/sonsofaureus · 1 pointr/battlestations

If the property is yours and if you're ok using a saw, you can snake the wires behind the wall and get two of these for the entry and exits.

u/mikeamburn · 1 pointr/amazonecho

Ack on the no running high voltage cables inside the wall that aren't properly terminated. Regarding low-voltage, I did consider using something like a 1-Gang Recessed Low Voltage Cable Plate, potentially mounted behind the Dot.

u/OlafShvenski · 1 pointr/MagicMirror

Could run behind the wall since it is low voltage, but it would be ugly at plug height. Something like this is what I’ve done beside the outlets for wall mounted TVs.

u/ninjafu76 · 1 pointr/Vive

I used a pass through wall plate (I think it's called?). They come in different colours, but here is an example on

Hope that helps Mantis4g63 :)

u/SecureMorale · 1 pointr/HomeNetworking

Yes, that's what I was thinking. That or this I was worried about the keystone because reviews say you can't use two jacks next to each other.

u/brandonww83 · 1 pointr/battlestations

Absolutely, there is always that option. But as fickle as I am about my setup, I wasn't putting a hole in the wall only to want to change the desk layout or something of that nature. I actually have this done with my tv and consoles, I have essentially floated the tv like seen here. But something like this is a for more affordable alternative.

u/youfrickinguy · 1 pointr/networking

How about something like this?

u/slayer3600 · 1 pointr/hometheater

Thanks for responding, but I was looking for something that allowed access to the speaker wires (need the wires to go to the wall to the amp). I think I have found what I need, something like this:

u/simplyclueless · 1 pointr/GoogleWiFi

One common option is something like this:

Power, ethernet, video, and any other low voltage wires are passed behind the TV into the wall, and then can come out at floor level behind furniture or similar.

u/basement-thug · 1 pointr/4kTV

I'd find a way to conceal the wire and go wired anyways. Wireless is good for phones and that's about it. They make kits to create an in wall conduit to run cables along with power.

[See here](Datacomm 50-3323-WH-KIT Flat Panel TV Cable Organizer Kit with Power Solution - White

u/alibenson · 1 pointr/homeowners

I'd second this, but maybe use that hole to your advantage by using it to hide low voltage cabling in the wall. get two birds stoned at once. I used this: hidey hole

u/el_lobo_crazy · 1 pointr/mancave

It looks much cleaner if you use thiskit to run the cables.

u/MrFrankyFeathers · 1 pointr/malelivingspace

They have these kits on Amazon that work really well if you already have a dry wall saw and wire snake. First one took an hour but my upstairs TV only took 30 minutes.

u/bronxcheer · 1 pointr/homerenovations

Something like this?

There are a lot of variations of this thing out there.

I don't have experience installing - we almost went this route, then decided a large enough media console would look better and be more practical than an on- or in-wall solution. But, it's very well rated.

u/michrech · 1 pointr/DIY

Pick up two low voltage mud rings and two of the wall plates in the link. This is what I do for passing cables from low on the wall to higher up (for TV's and the like) or passing a cable from Ron to room. Wall plate can be replaced with a blank when you move.

u/zeronull11 · 1 pointr/ShieldAndroidTV

Unfortunately I’m not aware of any of these working with any devices. These DV modes really need a short straight run with no connections in the middle. I replaced my in wall connector with something like this when I moved to 12 bit display output: On-Q/Legrand WP1014WHV1 WP Cable Access Strap with Wallplate, 1 Pack, White

u/ScarHand69 · 1 pointr/HomeImprovement

No pics. I haven’t done it yet. I’m not looking for info on how to mount the sound bar, I’ve got that covered. I’m looking for info on how to run the wires. Normally I’d use something like this to cover the rough hole in the drywall. , but that plate is too big and will be visible behind the sound bar.

I’m just curious if anyone has a solution that has a smaller plate or some other method, of if the only thing I can really do is drill a hole in the drywall and not really be able to cover up the rough edges with anything.

u/Konstantine_13 · 1 pointr/hometheater

A [volume control] ( It also depends on which amp you get but you might be able to control volume from the amp itself, in which case you would splice the wires togther in the box to connect directly to the amp.

u/bryan7675 · 1 pointr/askanelectrician


I've done home AV for many years. I do have some questions for you.

Do the rooms have volume controls? What sources do you want to lay through the speakers? What kind of budget are you working with?

You have several choices, from an impedance matching speaker selector, to a multi channel amp, with a matrix switching and volume control.

u/ChimpWithACar · 1 pointr/malelivingspace

Ignore if you rent, or if you have lath and plaster walls (approx. 65+ yr old homes are in the pre-drywall era).

If i were me I'd run flexible conduit (a tube for wires) or just bare wires along with a kit like this behind the drywall to hide your current ones plus make future upgrades easy to hide, too. Here's a kit so you see what I mean.

Yes, it's a hassle to mess with drywall and potentially drill through a 2x4 or two that's in your way, but it's aesthetically pleasing if you don't otherwise conceal the wiring by modifying your layout as others have suggested.

Here's an overly comlex step-by-step so you can pick your strategy so you can pick the applicable parts.

Fwiw I have lath and plaster in my living room so I didn't bother wall-mounting my TV. Placing it on a quality stand avoids those hassles.

u/Blindul · 1 pointr/DIY

I just bought this a few days ago, and plan on using it this weekend:

u/Beta-Tri · 1 pointr/AskElectronics

Its the type of cable with no plug of any sort, just a conductor that clips into the speaker and amplifier.

edit: managed to find it

u/feclar · 1 pointr/hometheater

Yes planning to mount the TV

What about wall plates? What should I install near the receiver and what behind the couch?

u/dreamer_2142 · 1 pointr/BudgetAudiophile

Ok m8, so after researching more, looks like MB42X is one of the best one out there and the bad review is from people who don't have subwoofer and they expect lower frequency from this speaker since I'm already going to get a Dayton 1000 sub, I believe MB42X is going to perfect for me. especially reviews say it performs really good on mid-range which is important for me since I watch a lot of movies. so here is my final list, can you tell me if I'm missing something like if the banana plug is correct (and how many of them I need?), and do I need the cable (no cable comes with the speaker?) and check for the AMP if it's good enough.

u/VE6XVK · 1 pointr/amateurradio

Just as an example, these are a type of banana plugs you can buy on Amazon. You can buy cheaper plastic plugs for sure, but I think for a radio of this build calibre, gold plated plugs would look the part. As /u/VE6LK mentioned, you would cut off the plug from the crystal earpiece and wire banana plug to each of the wires from the earpiece.

Alternatively, if you really are uncomfortable with stripping and connecting wires, you might look at an adapter like this one on Amazon. The only problem that may surface is that this adapter uses the standard spacing of 3/4 inch between the plugs, so you need to make sure that your father's radio is at the same spacing. You would also need a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch reducer for this adapter to reduce it down to the size of your crystal earpiece plug.

I'm still looking for a better option for the pre-made cable - If I find something better I'll edit this comment.

u/6x9equals42 · 1 pointr/audiophile

They usually don't include the wire for connecting them, you just need some speaker wire. You can also get banana plugs to make plugging the wire in easier but that's optional

u/nubgrub · 1 pointr/hometheater

Speaker wire for the speakers, digital coaxial or subwoofer cables for the sub.

It looks like binding posts for banana plugs for the speaker connections on the wall plate.

Amazon and monoprice are good places for speaker wire as well.

Banana plugs -5 pairs

Subwoofer Cable -8ft. There are plenty out there for cheap. Just search subwoofer cable.

50ft 14 GA speakerwire. The speaker wire connects to the bananaplugs.

u/Mobscenee · 1 pointr/audiophile

Okay I bought one of these below. So I should buy one more, correct?

Also, Should I get a crimping tool for the wires? Never done this before so need some help.

Thank you.

u/azzzaaz · 1 pointr/BudgetAudiophile


For the Infinity R253s (2x), I need 8 banana plugs (2x of this item). Also 14G wire in your link, according to Crutchfield since these are 6ohm speakers?

u/Sindroome24 · 1 pointr/audiophile

Hey! I just realised that I'm an idiot. How do I connect the speakers to the amp? Would 12 gauge speaker wire with these as connectors work? I've never seen em before.

u/the_skine · 1 pointr/ZReviews

I'm assuming, based on your other responses (and because you haven't specified) that you're hooking this up to a computer exclusively, and that you have limited desk space (meaning that standard bookshelf speakers won't fit). Also, I'm going to assume that you don't have SPDIF or optical connections, since you haven't said that you do.

My suggestion, then, would be:

  • Micca MB42X, $80 on Amazon
  • Nobsound Mini Bluetooth Power Amplifier, $31 on Amazon
  • AmazonBasics Speaker Wire, $9 on Amazon

    At their price and size, the Miccas are great speakers.

    The Nobsound was reviewed by Zeos a while back, and he was pleasantly surprised. Note that you can attach the amp to your computer using USB, the 3.5mm jack, or bluetooth.

    The speaker wire is there just to remind you to factor that into your cost. You may already have some laying around, or you can probably find some cheaper than that, or in shorter lengths.


  • The Nobsound comes with a 12v 5a (12×5=60W) power supply. So you're limited to ~25-30 watts per channel. This is more than enough for desk setups and small rooms, especially given the relatively efficient Micca speakers. But if you find yourself wanting more power, you can upgrade the power supply for around $15-$20.
  • Banana plugs make hooking up speakers a whole lot easier. Monoprice banana plugs are $10 on Amazon. The only thing to pay attention to here is that most banana plugs will only accept 12 gauge to 16 gauge speaker wire.
  • Subwoofer. Neither your Logitech speakers nor the Miccas really do low end (under 60 Hz). This enters an entirely separate discussion about price, performance, and what you want out of your setup, though. I will say, though, that with the Nobsound amplifier, you'll need a sub with high-level (speaker wire) passthroughs.
u/See-Phor · 1 pointr/hometheater

Hmm.. here are the plugs: Monoprice 24k Gold Plated Speaker Banana Plugs, Closed Screw Type (5 Pairs)

And here is my wire: C&E 100 Feet 14AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Wire Cable, CNE62761

Do I have to fan it out so it's really spread out ? Like no wires bunched together ?

u/Suqei · 1 pointr/audiophile

I'm running from my LP-120 to my preamp into the receiver. Then the speakers into the receiver.

My main problem is where the wire goes. Do I put the wire directly into the the red/black terminals and then screw those down? Or do I need something like this to put the wire in before I plug it into the speaker/receiver?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get it right. Thanks for your help so far.

u/suburban_robot · 1 pointr/audiophile

To start you need an integrated amplifier. Here's the one recommended in the purchase help thread. This unit will provide power to the speakers so they can play back audio.

Next you need a cable that runs from your phone's headphone jack (assuming it has one) to the amp. Here you go.

Now you need to connect the amp to the speakers. Since you have a sub, you will run speaker cable from the amp to the sub, and then from the sub to each of the speakers. Here's 50 ft of speaker cable which should be more than enough to get the job done. You'll also need a wire stripper tool to remove the casing at each of the cabling, here you go. Would also recommend some banana plugs to make things easier but they aren't required.

This gets you live audio to your speakers. Had you done some research ahead of time you probably would have landed on buying active speakers instead, which would have saved you the need for all of this equipment except the $7 audio cable.

u/2xlpizzas · 1 pointr/vinyl

Hey Guys, I'm trying to create a some-what cheap and MODERN set up for myself with multiple use (but limited channels in the receiver, so I found a receiver with Bluetooth option) and high convenience... Am I missing anything? Or is there anything I should add?

Cheap Bluetooth w/ Limited Channels Receiver

Turntable, and I really love this one.... Really Jacks Up Price

Speakers that come with wire, but adding a spool from amazon anyways...

Wire and Plugs

Do I need anything else? Hi-Fi amp or something? The turntable comes with a phono-preamp and the speakers look decent and are at my price range. Any tips on how to set this up as well? Including the best way to use the plugs or if I should get different plugs.

With the current prices of this post, the overall price is... $462.88 USD and W/O the turntable, it is $213.88 XD

Replacement Turntable that is affordable which puts the new price at $298.88

u/TactFully · 1 pointr/buildapc

Unfortunately £100 is just around the lower limit of the very-entry level, not really mid-range if we're going to be honest.

The easy solution is M-audio AV-40s. They are 'powered monitors' so the amplifier is inside, all you have to do is feed them signal.

Alternatively, you could go for "passive" bookshelf loudspeakers and an amplifier. The advantage to this route is that you can upgrade the speakers or amp separately (edit: also each individual component is probably at least a bit better than the av40s, and if anything ever fails it can be replaced separately; it's just more flexible overall). There's some extra work involved but it's not difficult..

These Wharfedale 9.0 should be good for the price (the Diamond 9.1 were reviewed by Stereophile and they measure well for the price).

You'll need an amp, speaker wire, and some banana plugs are helpful. Oh, and probably a 3.5mm stereo to 2RCA cable to connect your 3.5mm source(s) to the amp.

How much better are either of these compared to tiny computer speakers like Logitech or Creative etc.? Much better.

u/judasblue · 1 pointr/tDCS

Those look like 2mm straight plugs to me, not bannana plugs, which are:

Banana plugs have spring fittings on them. Electrode plugs don't. Easy mistake to make.

All the carbon, Amrex and TENS electrodes I have seen use straight plugs.

u/Stevo592 · 1 pointr/hometheater

I will probably get flak for doing this but here you go:

Sony SSB1000 ($55) These speakers are pretty good for how cheap they are. Much better than the Micca Covos.

SMSL-SA-50 ($68) I have this amp and it is awesome how much it puts out. I see the people all the time recommend the Lepai LP-2020 for cheap setups but ignore that amp. Get this one.

There you have it. Cheap setup that is entirely expandable. Get some Banana plugs and some cheap speaker wire.

Later on if you save your pennies you can buy something like the dayton sub for about 100 bucks and will fit nicely with that setup.

u/Jesustime · 1 pointr/audiophile

How do I know what gauge to get? I this sufficient Wire, Bananas and Wire Cutters. I think I will skip the DAC for now and see how everything sounds? As I can always buy one later and add it in but how do I know if I need one?
Edit: Thank you for the help!

u/Willfreckles · 1 pointr/audiophile

How does it work? I was under the impression that I could hook up the speakers to my AI usingsome of these through the L-R line out and the jobs a good?

u/madtrucks · 1 pointr/audiophile

Monoprice Banana Plugs - 5 pairs - CA$11 Link

u/brazen8 · 1 pointr/BudgetAudiophile

I vote for OPTION 2. Seems like you get more for your money with the sub. You could trim a bit off these totals by going with less expensive cables. 14-Gauge, 99.9% Oxygen-Free Copper + Banana Plugs = $37.72

u/ZeosPantera · 1 pointr/Zeos

Standard Stripped Speaker Wire. You could probably add some banana's if you want it pretty.

u/WATOCATOWA · 1 pointr/HomeDecorating

If you own, I’d order one of the in wall kits from Amazon. They’re super easy to install and they make it look so much nicer!

u/AmishPenis · 1 pointr/OLED

If you’re going to hang it, your best bet is it build an outlet into the wall where you will mount the tv. This way you don’t have to use an extension cord and you can hide the wires behind the wall. It’s pretty easy to do yourself. If you have the ability to mount the tv, then you are handy enough to do this as well. You can get a kit that has everything that you need like this:

DataComm Electronics 50-6623-WH-KIT Flat Panel TV Cable Organizer Kit with Power Solution

If you’re gonna mount it and not use that kit, I don’t know if the cord will be long enough without an extension cord (depending on how high you mount it).

Edit: it doesn’t have everything that you need. You’ll need some tools to go with that like a dry wall saw etc.

u/McNizzel · 1 pointr/projectors

sure! here it is:

essentially what you're doing is using rome's, which is what is most likely powering all of the outlets in a modern home anyway. It is designed to be in thew all. This kit lets you add power to your new "outlet" by just plugging it into another working outlet, so what you end up with is a fancy, clean, legal extension cord in the wall that won't burn your house down. It is pretty slick if it meets your needs, there are several slightly different versions. Please look into your local safety codes etc. I'm just a stranger on the internet after all.

u/mfr220 · 1 pointr/DIY

You might have some code issues if you are planning on running your tv's power cable behind the wall. If you are just doing a/v stuff what you posted is fine.

If you don't have a power receptacle already behind your TV, and you don't want to pay an electrician, these types of products work well.

u/Eccentrica_Gallumbit · 1 pointr/HomeImprovement

What about throwing one of these in a double gang, then you'd have room for your cable wiring as well.

Might want confirmation from someone else more knowledgeable though that this is to code, and that the electric and HDMI/Coax will play well together (i.e. no interference).

u/airway38 · 1 pointr/CR10

This is awesome! If you've got the STL for it, it'd be great! I'm currently using one of these, but it's not the tidiest of set ups.

u/shockwaveriderz · 1 pointr/HomeNetworking

This is about as simple as you can get router <--------wallplate<------------->ethernet cable<------>wallplate< ------------>Ethernet cable<-----> to device


get Cat 6 cable

u/tatsukunwork · 1 pointr/HomeNetworking

Howdy, First, thanks for any help you can offer!
To answer your questions:

  1. Yes, the TV works fine. But I will triple check when I get home that it's not secretly connecting to Wifi or something.

  2. Yes, it goes straight there. I just installed the wire last week. We were having siding work done on the house and I took advantage of the studs being open from the outside to run the wire. It was just a normal Cat5 cable and I checked that it was working before and after I installed it.

  3. I am not sure what you mean about the wires. Each jack just has a female connector on each side, and the cables plug into each side. This is the sort of thing I am talking about:
u/mrfizbin · 1 pointr/HomeImprovement

If you can fish it down the wall or come through from a closet on the other side of the wall, you could use a wall plate like this so it doesn't look quite as bad.

The flat cat-6 cables work pretty well, and I've had luck tucking them into the gap between the carpet and baseboards. I know I'll end up running a couple under the carpet the next time I have it replaced.


If you already had coax (from cable-tv) in those rooms, you could use Moca adapters. But I don't know if that'd be any better than the power line ethernet stuff.


Of course the best way involves making big holes all over the place so you can string the cables in the walls and then go back to patch everything and repaint. The easy way is you drill a hole in a semi hidden spot (in a closet or behind furniture) and fish the cables from there.

u/CrazyCrazyCanuck · 1 pointr/HomeNetworking

Ok, I tried plugging my router in and it didn't work. The light for that particular Ethernet port remained off on both the router end and the modem end. And DHCP didn't managed to get an address. (I removed all the shorts beforehand.)

Next I'll try removing the whole Leviton jack and terminate it with a male T568B. Then plugging in my router and see if it works. If it works then I'll just use one of these female-to-female wall plates:

You're a real lifesaver, man. Thanks!

u/the1alowishus · 1 pointr/battlestations

Nice setup! I recommend these to hide your cables.

u/Desoto61 · 1 pointr/HomeNetworking

If you're literally just running through one wall from one side to the other just run the cable directly through the wall. If you want to hide the hole then get a pair of the media plates used for TV's like these:

Then run how ever many cables you want. Otherwise you'd literally have a 3" patch between one side of the wall and the other.

Honestly I'd run one cat6 cable to the switch you linked to and connect everything to that. It's unlikely you'll be using more than one or two devices at the same time, and it's also unlikely your internet is fast enough to keep up with the gigabit link anyway.

u/Falzon03 · 1 pointr/ultrawidemasterrace

Everything you need:
KCC Industries 1-Gang Recessed Low Voltage Cable Plate with Mounting Bracket +UL/CSA Listed Safe+ (2-Pack, White)

Also sold at home Depot, would save a few bucks that way.

u/ShermanThruGA · 1 pointr/sonos

Yea I see ones like this:

Echogear in Wall Power Kit Includes Low Voltage Cable Management - Hide TV Wires When Mounting A TV - Includes Hole Saw Drill Attachment for Easy Install

Not sure how that also wouldn’t be a code violation though.

I just have the cords outside the wall with cable management stuff. For me it works fine and I rent so can’t really be opening up walls.

u/nstig8andretali8 · 1 pointr/electricians

They make kits that let you plug an existing outlet into a wall outlet, and it is then wired to the new outlet behind the TV. It is the easiest solution for your case where you can use the existing wires to pull the new wire into place.
sample on amazon

They make them in the rectangular style too to match the hole you already have in the drywall on the bottom. Here's one

Personally I'd try to run power to the new outlet behind the TV completely inside the walls to avoid having one outlet plugged into the other in such a visible spot - but if you just want it done quick and easy something like what I linked will work.

u/03891223 · 0 pointsr/HomeNetworking

If it is really Cat5e, you can get something like this to rewire it.

u/JuanTutrego · 0 pointsr/whatisthisthing

Since it references frequency I suspect it might be a crossover for a speaker system. Seems kind of ugly to me to mount it like that, but it might have had a plate covering it that's now missing.

Here's an example of a nicer-looking one being sold on Amazon.

u/ZaltorTheMerciless · 0 pointsr/HomeNetworking

IDK, I'd call an electrician and ask if they can give you an estimate. I'm assuming the modem/fiber jack is just the other side of the wall from the exterior pics you showed us? If that is the case, I'd be surprised if it'd cost more than $150

You could even probably do it yourself, get a couple pre-made ethernet lines (1 from modem/router to wall plate location [where you're drilling through the wall], 1 from wall plate to NID), a female-female wall jack, a ethernet crimper and a couple of rj45 connectors. <$50 bucks

u/Lahey_The_Drunk · 0 pointsr/battlestations

Fyi man, that’s a pretty major fire hazard if your cables are just loosely running through your walls. They sell special kits that allow this sort of routing though, give them some thought!

Echogear in Wall Power Kit Includes Low Voltage Cable Management - Hide TV Wires When Mounting A TV - Includes Hole Saw Drill Attachment for Easy Install

u/KnockKnockComeIn · -1 pointsr/diyaudio

OP from your comment sounds like you could use an old PC power supply since it puts out 12V, 5V and 3.3V.

Power supply ATX pinout board with fuses

TRS adapter

Banana tip

DC socket

On the ATX board just make sure to put some low amp fuses like 2 amps. Solder, Shrink wrap and LABEL to avoid plugging 12V into a mixing board.

EDIT: you could accomplish the same task much cheaper but using the 4 items listed above you would not have to modify the snake at all.